Why does society fear registered sex offenders so much? even though they have paid, or are paying their debt to society...?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Because sexual compulsions often can't be "cured" or even treated in such a way that the offender doesn't reoffend. So since we can't lock them up forever we need to protect ourselves from them.

• 4 weeks ago

Due to Religious taboos against sex & nudity.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

After being caught, some change. Most do not. Parents should be extremely cautious with their children.

• 1 month ago

Just because they're paying their debt doesn't mean they've changed. They probably see their being caught as an annoyance and if they had the chance to commit a crime again without being caught, might not hesitate to do so.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Some people think they are still dangerous. My nephew never harmed a child or touched one inappropriately and he still was in prison a few years.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Society does not fear anything, PEOPLE fear things. Some people fear registered sex offenders, some people don't. If you want to know the reason, you're going to have to ask each and every one of them to find out.

• 1 month ago

Because rapists and child molesters are sex offenders and most of them re-offend when freed.

That's the whole point of the registry.

• Cammy2 weeks agoReport

I have read several articles which actually support the antithesis. That only 3% reoffend when compared to 86% of other criminals reoffend when released from prison.

• 1 month ago

cause theyre afraid they might do it again

• Justin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Sex offenders are some of the least dangerous people in society. The more dangerous people are parents who don't see the common sense in following 4,500 year old divine commands to not allow any human social dramas to occur outside of the presence of 'two or three witnesses.'

That means we are suppose to organize ourselves socially and economically so that our children, especially, are never alone with adults for ANY reason. People suffer everyday under the excuse that someone didn't have the time or money to look out for them. That is when the creeps arrive. They have learned to sense and seek out the absence of basic consideration for others. What did you have the time and money to do that was 'more important?'

Human predators are like wild animals. They either have no conscience or have no mental filters and restraints. I do not blame wild animals for harming people. I blame people for putting themselves on the same level with wild animals and assuming that life is just supposed to be safe, or that we can 'punish' them later with deviant rape in a cage, so allowing children to be harmed is 'tolerable.' I wonder if those people have a conscience either.

I do not fear sex offenders at all. Most of them are weak kneed wilting pansies anyway.

BE PRESENT and they won't be.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because sex offenders are 'registered' because the authorities need to keep very close checks on them as it's an established fact that they're extremely likely to re-offend.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.