Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 month ago

Should I leave kitchen appliances in a portrait painting?

My friend asked me to paint a picture based on one she took of her kids making silly faces sitting on the kitchen countertop. 

She loves to cook and loves everyone coming together in the kitchen, so I’m tempted to paint it “as-is,” but I feel like the dishwasher, toaster, etc. might not look so nice. 

The kids are also sitting directly in front of the bar top, so you can see the whole living room behind them and I wasn’t sure if I should paint all of the little bits seen behind them or if I should do a more abstract background. I’ve asked her and the only response I get back is to do whatever I think would look good. 

Any ideas? Thank you in advance. 

Leave all the bits and pieces out of the picture. If I were the artist I would make it look at if they are just sitting on a big piece of wood, and not make it look like a kitchen at all. Fade out the background.

and you could ask the person its for, they may want it and they may want less...

My wife, who is an artist, says you should concentrate on the kids and blur the background so it doesn't take away from the main subject.

You can if you want, but personally, I would store them in the counters.