Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Do you think going 2 blocks on the city bus in a motorized wheelchair is being a bit of a jackass?

Update:

I mean literally ONE stop

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Yes! But it is possible the person may not have realized where he was in consideration to his destination or realized he was on the wrong bus after he boarded.

• Prince
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

No, I think asking that question makes you a bit of a jackass, actually. People even without being in a motorised wheelchair may have all kinds of OTHER aches and complaints and problems and not wish to walk two blocks even though they can walk. Someone with bad enough health problems to BE in a motorised wheelchair could have ALL sorts of illnesses and injuries and pain you know nothing about, and they certainly deserve the benefit of the doubt. In any case, if a person is within their legal rights, then they are within their rights, and it is their decision to make. All I can do is to wish you to change places with that person and suffer exactly whatever it is they are suffering so you can gain some much needed insight.

• Daisy
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Really? Try going around town in a similar chair. How easy is it? And, this person has as much right to use the city bus as anyone else- even you.

• Ann
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Motorized wheelchairs have to be charged before the person leaves their house. If the chair's charge was running low, if the curbs were inaccessible to the person along his/her route, or if the weather was bad, it's understandable that the person would feel the need to conserve as much personal energy as well as that of the chair's as possible. Obviously, you've never been tethered to a wheelchair so you have no idea of a disabled person's struggles to get around in a world "normal" people take for granted.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Without knowing the context in which this occurred, you can only speculate as to why this choice was made. Assumption can be limiting.

• 4 weeks ago

We can't possibly say. We have no idea - and neither have you - why the person wanted or needed to make that short journey on the bus.

Maybe the weather was changing; maybe they were being overwhelmed by traffic fumes; maybe they hadn't been on the bus before and just wanted to try it out.

The short answer is, we don't know, but they were fully entitled to do it.

• 4 weeks ago

Possibly, but not definitely. I would need to hear the person's justification first.

• 4 weeks ago

That's not up to us to decide.

• 4 weeks ago

kind of but maybe the person didnt want to use it on the street or sidewalk

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

May be the streets have a lot of potholes, or may be there is no on and off ramp for wheelchairs at the curb. It is difficult to say. May be the streets in that particular area is dangerous or dirty. Who knows.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.