How can I set up led lights without an outlet? ?

I want to set up led lights around the perimeter of the ceiling in my closet. It’s about 5 by 8 feet big. But there are no outlets. Does anyone know of a extension cord that’s real small and skinny that maybe could fit through the small gap of my door and plug it in that way? Or does anyone know of a battery powered led lights? The ones off of amazon are real short  and obviously I would need one to be 26 feet long to go around my closet. 

Thanks!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

"Electrical outlet" refers to lighting outlets as well as convenience receptacle outlets.

A closet that large typically has at least one outlet, often populated with a light bulb of some sort. If it's a standard (medium Edison base) you might unscrew the bulb, insert a receptacle/bulb extension adapter (with or without pull-chain switch), and plug in one or more LED strings.

It is generally a violation of the NEC (National Electrical Code, or your locally applicable code) to run any extension cord to substitute for permanent wiring or through any door or window opening (unless "during temporary use"), or through a hole in the wall or ceiling.

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If for a closet then probably battery powered lights would be fine. I assume that you would visit the closet only a few times a day, for just a few minutes each time.

• 1 month ago

"Really skinny" extension cords don't exist as they would not pass the current rating of most household outlets - 15 amps.

• 1 month ago

Low voltage battery operated strings of LED lights are cheap and plentiful and are totally safe to use as they simply don’t get hot and are far too low a voltage to be hazardous. The biggest danger is just tripping over them.

Huge numbers get sold over the next few months for festivals like Divali, Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New Year.

You probably won’t find battery operated ones 26ft long. But you can buy a few shorter ones to make that length OR if you know how to solder it is easy to daisy-chain shorter ones and to then connect the original battery boxes in parallel so that the voltage remains the same whilst providing enough battery charge capacity to stop the need to constantly change batteries.

Or you could wire a cheap 3v or 6v (will give brighter LEDs) power brick transformer to the battery terminals and you then have a long thin low-voltage power cable which is easily passed through most door-jambs and is easy to extend if necessary (soldering skills needed again).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

That's not a valid reason, and, as a matter of fact, that's dangerous.

• Lv 7
    1 month ago

lights in a closed space is a bad idea.

believe it or not, it is a fire hazard. that is why there's no outlets in there. it is against building code.

ALL types of lights put off heat, and LEDs often put off even more, because they are brighter lights.

if you want LEDs in there, you should leave the door open to ventilate the heat. then it won't be an issue.

you could also remove the door...

• Mark
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

@Lib. if it is always on, it's QUITE against code. We had a pantry growing up (but we didn't decorate it!) that had a trip-swicth in the door jamb so a light would turn on, rather like a fridge.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why would you want to decorate a closet? That's like decorating a root cellar.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.