Jerry asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

Why is it so hard for family to understand how a Doctor's life is ? It's been 2 years now and I keep having to explain the same things?

1) Whenever I am sick..my parents want to insist that I stay home..no matter how many times I explain to them, that if my symptoms are really bad I I will stop, otherwise I will go to work.

"If everybody in the hospital took sick leave for the flu, then the hospital would shut down every flu season"

Besides..I AM a doctor..all my friends are doctors...if my symptoms get worse there are half-a dozen professionals I can call upon to take care of me...why would I ever burden my elderly parents to take care of me at this late stage in their life

2) They always keep asking why I work so many shifts. No matter how many times I explain to them that EVERY doctor works shifts...they still go on and on about how they never see me.

This isn't a bragging question its..just a ...I don't know. No matter how many times I tell my parents I have studied how to care for the body, I know what to do when I get sick..they still insist on trying to care for me when I am sick...I don't want them to fuss over me...they have given me so much already...I want them to relax and enjoy their golden years.

Oh, yes, Jerry, this is a problem for all imaginary Doctors who live with Mommy and Daddy.

If you were to take a day off you would be effectively ABANDONING YOUR PATIENTS!

Explain to your family that you MUST ARRANGE FOR COVERAGE BY ANOTHER PHYSICIAN if you are unable to see your patients, prescribe for them and field phone calls from them.

• LAN

It amazes me when morons tell obvious lies. Are you actually stupid enough to believe anyone believes this stupid crap? Dr's don't go in with something contagious because many patients can't afford to get sick with a secondary infection.

probably cause they miss seeing you