Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 4 weeks ago

If I buy a house before meeting a woman, should I get a prenup and will it hold up in court?

Best Answer

The main reason for getting a prenup is to protect assets you want to leave to children of a prior marriage. The combination of a well drafted prenup plus a well drafted will can give asset protection in the event of divorce or death.

Often a will, in this situation, will give the surviving spouse the right to continue to live in the marital home for his lifetime with the home only going to the heirs after his death.

A prenup is valid in most jurisdictions but it does have hair on it. It may corrode the relationship. I was very happy to put my husband on the title of my flat as joint tenants with rights of survivorship and he was delighted to be added. He had no children from a prior marriage so there was no reason not to.

• `

Why would you draw up paperwork if you're not even seeing someone?

IN GENERAL assets you own at the time of marriage remain your assets unless and until you transfer them into joint names or her individual name.

WHEN you own property before marriage, you divorce, your wife will have a claim against any increase in the value of the house (or decrease in the mortgage). That's why you need a prenup IF this is a consideration.

I owned my home when I married my husband. No prenup. When we divorced he claim half of the increased value of the house. The Court gave him half of the amount the mortgage was reduced (I made the payments but the arguments was that my husband's employment freed up my money) as well as half of the increased value of the residence (due to minor repairs, the economy, increased value of all property in my area). He walked away with considerable money from a house I owned.

When I remarried we agreed to get a prenup for this and other reasons.

Depending on state law, the prenup would either be UNNECESSARY, or ILLEGAL.

Virtually everywhere, any assets you own before marriage remain yours. Unless, for example, once you marry you decide to add your wife’s name on the deed/title.

• R K

whatever you got before you get married, is yours. you don't need a prenup

Depends on the state and a lot of other things. Talk to a lawyer.

Buying a house, or not buying, is only 0.1% of the decision about a prenup. There are another 1000 factors to consider. Why are you marrying someone you don't trust? Prenups where either side doesn't have their own good lawyer, are generally frowned on by the courts.

Just don't meet a woman. Or if you insist, don't get married.. I think.