At what point do you tell your parents that you're leaving?

I'm 33 years old. I live alone, yet my parents are always blending in, telling me what I'm doing wrong and that I'm not yet married and so on. It's all happening by phone, messages or any other time that we meet on occasions.

You can't really get rid of them, because they're literally always somehow in your ear.

It's tougher for me to end this because I don't come from a western civilization where every man is for himself. I have to take care of them for the rest of life.

Any help?

• Rick
    Best Answer

"I have to take care of them for the rest of life." No, you don't. I'm from a western society (I live in Canada) and I don't believe in this. If you keep choosing to believe that you have to, then you'll do it but you'll resent it. Just because you're their son, it doesn't mean you have to take care of them. That's a lot to expect of a child.

I remember when someone from another culture asked me if I was making a mistake by choosing not to have children. When she asked me, "Who's going to take care of you when you're old?", I thought there's no way I'd be selfish enough to have children for that reason.

Since you have no plan to leave them or abandon your responsibilities, your obvious solution is to simply care less when they criticize you. Nod, smile, listen politely to their endless criticisms, give them whatever assurances that you need to in order to quiet them down, and then go on with your own life as you would otherwise. Even we men in Western Civilization have to deal with this kind of thing, you're not alone in it.

Whenever you feel like it. You are still too dependent upon your parents to be thinking this way.