Am I wrong to enter the words "Carryout" on the tip line of receipt when ordering carryout?

When I order carryout at a restaurant that offers both sit down and carry out service (Generally Chinese and not too fancy.) I will write in the words "Carryout" in the line of receipt for tip amount. I feel that the whole dynamic of the service has changed. I am walking up to the counter to get it. Also I am pre paying so I don't have a chance to sample the food to see if there is any discrepancies.

..,,,,.,,,,,,,,.

I think you should tip based on services rendered. Do they get your order together  are sure your sides are there did you pick it up at the window or walk in and take up someone's time? Use your best judgment... but I will say the act of of writing carryout (from the prospective of someone behind the counter) pisses me off. Either till cross it out or leave it alone dont taunt me by writing carryout it actually pisses me off more then not when i see that... 

If it's a credit card charge you should put something on that line to keep them from putting something in there for you.  Even when you sit down, I usually put "on table' on the tip line so they don't have to struggle with the business to get their 20% on their paycheck.

Unless it's a place you're regular at and get loyal service, I wouldn't tip. Tipping on a pick up order is for the chef, not the driver.

The people who take the carry out order and make sure its ready and all there when you pick it up, should also be tipped.Maybe not as much as if you dinned in. If you liked it and go there often for carry out food they will remember you. If everything is in its proper container and cook to order, would you not tip the person if you sat in and ate? If you discrepancies don't go back. To go orders are some time more work than if you ate there. But of coarse tipping is up the the buyer.

Source(s): t
    • Bob
      1 month agoReport

you your food most of the time

• Erik

Tipping is optional, and most people don't tip when they pick the food up. But just put a zero, or an X. To write anything there seems rude.

• Bob

I would just put a 0 or write the word zero on the tip line of the receipt

it's not necessary however I would at least put 0 with a line through so an employee cannot add a tip.

Nowadays, I always take a photo of the copy I leave because of all of the employees adding racist comments and then posting on social media and blaming the customer

no i never tip when im just picking up food from a restaurant

I agree. I would not tip for a carryout. Do you tip the person at the deli counter at the grocery?

Note that I are referring to carry out. For a delivery you would tip the driver.