Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 month ago

Am I getting paid enough as a nanny? ?

I have been reading forums and websites everywhere saying full time nannies should be paid $15-$20 an hour. I live in FL & I work 40 hrs a week $10 an hour. I watch a 6 month old baby & occasionally take their 9 year old to gymnastics. They don't expect me to do any housework though, I do it anyways sometimes but they never require me to. The baby also does sleep for a big chunk of my time there.  Am I being paid too little? 

• 4 days ago

I think that's fair for what you are doing, plus you may live their.

Plus the don't ask for extra work.

If the baby sleeps often I'd be working on line for a degree towards a career but, not tell anyone that.

As the babies gets more active a rise may be needed to keep him active and one nap daily.

I worked for a family with twins their Mother was a Trauma surgeon and worked 80 hours a week and the dad was a Pilot who worked 4 days a week and didnt come home for 4 days while he worked. I had these children all week 24/7 and some weekends for $12 an hour. In CA.

I was responsible for everything they needed and had a charge card and car and gas card they gave me to get food, diapers, formula etc, dr appointments enrichment activities the list was endless.

Plus i was responsible for all their laundry, their room, their playroom. I had to keep all those area cleaned up.

I was with them so much they cried when i left

In vitro is great for some but not practical if you want to work 80 hours a week.

Plus they had a gardener, housekeeper, pool service, and a handyman...it was unreal but a great experience.

Good luck

For Florida that's a decent amount .

You can certainly ask for more money if you don't mind risking the loss of the job.

This depends on a lot of things. Have you already signed a contract? If so then it's too late to complain. You should have done this research before applying for nanny jobs. My oldest daughter is a college student and a nanny. We helped her do a lot of research before replying to online ads and putting out the word she wanted to work as a nanny. We also knew to make sure the family drew up a contact of everything that was expected of her. It sounds to me like you failed to do all of this. Now you are stuck. Hopefully, you will learn your lesson next time. But, if you feel cheated out of money you could speak up and maybe they will agree.

• depends on the age, if it is a girl whos 13-16 then it seems like a good amount, after 16 its ok but if its a girl thats 20+ then she should be getting 15-20 per hour

I mean, but like how many kids are those nannies taking care of? Because I feel like it all depends on amount of kids, age of kids, and amount of work required for you to do.

A lot of the time, the hired pay means more kids, more things required of them. Varying age groups. I mean, 2 kids, one 6 months old, one 8 years old. Must cook, clean, take the older child to school and pickup. Make sure they get a snack, homework help. Activities and outtings. That's usually when they get paid more. If you spend a majority of your day watching a sleeping baby, I would say $10/hour is reasonable.

• Byrd

I suspect you 're a "babysitter" calling yourself a nanny.

• Cathy

That's only around a dollar and a half over minimum wage in Florida. I found this.

https://www.momentpath.com/families-parents/child-...