takkk asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 4 weeks ago

Native English speakers or master users of English: Do "foreign people" and "native people" sound natural?

I hear or read many Japanese learners of English write or say these things, but I don't think they sound natural. What do you think? Do you think they are okay?

1. foreign people

--- I think they should say, "people from other counties," "people from abroad" or something else. How about "foreigners"? Is it okay?

2. native people

--- This should be native speakers.

Best Answer

1. You are right that "foreign people" doesn't sound natural. "Foreigners" does sound natural, but implies a higher degree of "otherness." "People from other countries" sounds more neutral.

2. "Native people" is not the same as "native speakers." The former could be either indigenous people or people born in the country or place of reference. The latter means people speaking their "native language" [first language], wherever they may currently be in the world.

• John P

In some contexts "foreign people" is the best expression to use. In others use "foreigners". The notion of "people from abroad" is not generally used where I am in southern Britain.

The sentence "This should be native speakers" is not grammatical, and without context I cannot guess what you are trying to say. But indeed the expression "native speakers of English" (or whatever language) is normal.

• takkk4 weeks agoReport

Thank you for your feedback. Would you be more specific about in what context "foreign people" is the best expression by giving an example?

What do you mean by "natural"? Are you asking if they sound like native English speakers? Sometimes, yes, but you wouldn't notice that because they sound like native English speakers. Native English speakers only notice the ones that don't sound like native English speakers.

Some foreigners speak much better English than Americans do if they learned English somewhere other than the USA.