A asked in TravelAsia PacificKorea · 4 weeks ago

Can you teach English in Korea or Japan without having a university degree? ?

7 Answers

  • james
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Yes. As a private tutor. Every now & then you read were one is arrested & locked up in jail.

  • 4 weeks ago

    Yes, because Asian/Korean men have janitor faces.

  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    You probably need a TEACHING degree, preferably an English as Second Language one

    Source(s): Where i live, teacher-schools are not universities
  • 4 weeks ago

    Go to eslcafe.com and click on Jobs. You can see the jobs available and the qualifications. Japan is highly competitive. The government has the JET program, which provides native speakers as assistants to teachers in Japan, but you have to have a 4 year degree. Most teaching positions in Japan require a master's degree and/or a certificate in TESL/TEFL. The requirements are lighter in Korea, and Andrew gave you good information about those.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Robin
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    yes as long as you are a native speaker

  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    I'm not sure about Japan, but in Korea, the answer would be: "Yes, but only under certain circumstances."

    I'm from Ireland, but have lived in Korea for about 12 years now. I hold an F-5 visa, meaning that I'm a permanent resident of this country, and as you can see - I'm on the leaderboard for this section, so my knowledge of the way things work here is well-substantiated.

    In North America, one can obtain something known as an "Associate's Degree" which translates to 2 years of university or college education...

    There are certain programs available to candidates who possess an Associates Degree, notably the TALK Program, which hires such people for a short-term contract period (usually 6 months), but only offers reduced hours at reduced pay - usually around 20 - 30 hours per week, at a public school, for a bit more than half what a full-time teaching contract would pay - maybe around W1,500,000 per month, standard being around W2,200,000 per month to start.

    So, it IS possible to teach in South Korea without a proper BA or BS degree, but the person would be limited to programs that are willing to sign people who possess the bare minimum qualification - an Associate's Degree.

    Mind you, I'm talking about LEGAL work here, because the Korean government must approve any and all work visas, so the applicant would have to furnish immigration with at least an Associate's Degree to obtain legal employment as an English instructor; however, there are people who are in Korea on some other visa who teach ILLEGALLY, but I don't recommend that as the fines and penalties for working outside of one's visa can be stiff, i.e.: they can seize your bank account (if you were somehow legally permitted to open one), fine you, deport you, and bar you from re-entering the country for a period of several years.

    If you wish to teach English here, I'd strongly advise you to reach the standard for qualification for a standard teaching job - those standards are as follows:

    - To be from one of the "Golden Seven" countries - Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, the UK or the USA, and to hold a valid passport from one of those countries.

    - To hold a BA or BS degree from an accredited institution in one of those countries and to have that degree apostilled at the federal level in that country.

    - To have a clean record and to be able to prove that by furnishing the Korean government with a clean criminal background check at the federal level that is also apostilled.

    - To be in good physical health and to be able to pass a Korean health check.

    So, in closing, if you've got a 2 year degree you CAN apply for employment, but will be limited to programs that issue employment visas to people who are willing to work for peanuts at rural schools.

    And if you meet the bare minimum standards to qualify for an employment visa with a 4 year degree (3 years in some cases, depending on citizenship), you can get a regular job.

    But no one can come here to work without going the legal route unless he or she qualifies for another type of visa such as the Overseas Korean visa or the Working Holiday visa.

    And keep in mind that without a valid visa it's impossible to procure long-term accommodation, open a bank account, register a hand-phone or internet or to do pretty much anything.

  • 4 weeks ago

    You can always try asking at any school. Or the education board.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.