Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 1 month ago

What is more accurate taking a selfie or taking a picture of your self in the mirror?

For some reason I always look different in photos (whenever I take a selfie on my phone), but I find taking a picture in the mirror looks completely normal, which is more accurate though?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The image you see in the mirror is reversed left to right, as you can prove by holding a newspaper up in front of the mirror. A camera simply records that left-to-right error if you photograph yourself in the mirror.

Most selfies show typical "selfie distortion" because they are taken with the camera far too close to the face. Have the camera at least 6 feet from your face, then you do not get the "too round face with the big nose". That is then how others see you.

• Frank
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Mirrors distort by making you look thinner or fatter.

Mirrors flip your face horizontally which makes you look different.

Cameras can make you look ugly if you use a short lens (e.g. anything shorter than about 45mm equivalent to 35mm format), normal if you use a focal length between 45-50mm, or even better than you do in real life if you use a long focal length around 85mm~200mm.

• qrk
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A selfie taken at arms length has significant perspective distortion and will make you look distorted. This same technique is used to take pictures of dog noses to give a comical look to the dog snout.

Taking a picture in the mirror increases the distance between the camera and subject which means perspective distortion will be less. Best results are if the camera is more than 5 feet from the subject.

• 1 month ago

If you want to know how others see you, then you should rely on selfies.

But, If you want a very accurate idea on others perception of you then:

- Take a video of yourself. A video will be much closer to how others see you than a picture.

- Stand in front of a mirror with someone and judge how different their mirrored image looks compared to them, and then try to picture how different you might look.

- Take a selfie or video with someone in the same frame and estimate the difference.

These steps should give you a clear idea of how you look to others.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Taking a selfie.

Taking a picture in the mirror will give you a mirror-image picture, ie; left and right are switched.

The reason this looks completely normal to you is that this is how you are used to seeing yourself.

The selfie will show how other people see you.

Another way to think of it; the selfie shows the way the mirror sees you, not the way you see yourself in the mirror.

• 1 month ago

Phones usually have wide-anglish lenses - so faces are a bit unproportional when the phone is held at arm's length. With a longer stick it's more realistic

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.