Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 month ago

Is it ok to use my computer like this?

I just purchased a new motherboard for my PC, as the old one failed. the problem is that the new motherboard has an 8 pin CPU connector, but my old motherboard only has a 4, and so does my PSU. I plugged the CPU connector into the 1st 4 pins of the 8 and it fired up fine. I've even done a stress test and it runs fine. but how long will it last, and will I cause any long term damage by doing this?

Best Answer

It will be fine.

If it's the same CPU, the current through that connector will be just the same so it's not a problem.

[An adapter is a waste of time as it's still the same four wires and 4 pin connector at the PSU side].

If you get a higher-power CPU, then you may need to consider upgrading the PSU to a type with the 8 pin 12V connector.

You'll be fine unless you have a high power draw CPU that can pull in more than 144w

4-pin 144w

8-pin 288w

If you have a power supply unit that only has a 4-pin EPS connector, then you might want to consider replacing it for the sake of age. Power supplies do degrade over time. Most modern power supplies come with an 8-pin CPU/EPS connector.

• Fulano

The 8 pin CPU power plug was created for very high power draw CPUs that drew too much power for only 4 pins (such as the FX series). All it does it add extra 12 volt lines and ground pins so the wires don't get overloaded.

If you've got a CPU that works with the 4 pin cord already, it will be fine in the new motherboard.

An adapter is not needed at all, it's designed to be backwards compatible.

Probably fine for now. What does the motherboard manual say? The manual isn't just there for packing material!

• Jim

Buy a 4 to 8 pin adapter.