Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 4 weeks ago

How can I cheaply re-finish or color wooden furniture to my liking?

I just moved into a new apartment and my funds are low . I could not afford to purchase new furniture and select my own.

So furniture was donated to me . The pieces are a light brown oak finish. However I like very dark brown , espresso finish.

I have a coffee table and two end tables , a tv stand , a chest all which are light brown and I want them darker.

Please advise,

Best Answer

Please don't ruin the look of the furniture with paint. Instead, use Minwax PolyShades to darken the finish. It's a one-step stain and polyurethane...basically tinted polyurethane. It's available as brush-on or spray. I've found that brushing can leave streaks that require a couple of coats to fill. Spraying may give you better one-coat results. https://www.minwax.com/wood-products/one-step-stai...

Get some espresso coloured paint for wood and paint everything. I always use a budget own brand, but others will swear by Annie Sloan or Rustoleum. Thoroughly clean and abrade all surfaces before painting and apply a coat of matt or satin polyurethane for protection. Most 'oak' pieces are not the genuine article, so trying to restain can be a problem, but if they are the real McCoy, I am rather fond of Arts and Crafts type dark oak, which might be an alternative to consider.