Best canon DSLR for wildlife photography ?

Any recommendations on a canon DSLR for wildlife photography that’s not too expensive? Used one is fine too 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

If you are shooting in daylight, any DSLR on the market is more than capable of being used for wildlife photography. I would avoid 1st or 2nd generation used bodies (Canon 300D/Nikon D70 type bodies) just because they are getting too old. Anything made within the last couple of years would be fine.

If you must use Canon for whatever reason, I would avoid the SL models or the Rebel models. Not that they are bad cameras, but because of the way their controls work. Look at a 60D or newer. You get two control dials, meaning you can adjust aperture and shutter without having to contort your fingers to press a button and spin and dial at the same time. The larger bodies also handle big lenses much better.

Then you have to have a lens you can actually use for wildlife. Sure, you can use an 18-55, but you won't be able to actually see anything in the photo. Bare minimum would be a 55-250... and 70-300 or longer is better.

A tripod is also a necessity, if you actually want to get sharp photos using a long lens. You can get by with a monopod if you know how to use one properly, but you can use a tripod like a monopod by simply folding the legs together until you need the tripod.

This is my wildlife/birding rig: Nikon D7500 with Sigma 150-600C on a (varies by what I grab) tripod or monopod. If there is going to be a lot of walking involved, I tend to go with the monopod, but end up wishing I'd brought the tripod instead every time.

• 1 month ago

Like everyone said, the lens matters much more than the camera body in wildlife photography. Any decent DSLR should do - I recommend any of the following cameras - 80D, 90D, 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II.

Get a telephoto lens - you can check this link here to understand your various alternatives - https://uaestore.canon-me.com/search/s/newInDesc/f...

• 1 month ago

the lens is more important

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Actually, any dSLR should do. It's the lens you should be more concerned of. Maybe a 400mm?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Frank
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Canon has designed the 7D Mark II (for those on a tight budget) and the 1DX as their best wildlife/sports cameras.  Nothing else that Canon makes compares to their capabilities specifically for wildlife and sports.  The 5D Mark iii/iv comes close, but still it's no 7D or 1D.

• qrk
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Any DSLR camera body will suffice. The lens is the most important item and will be the most expensive.

• 1 month ago

THE BEST CAMERAS FOR WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHY ARE

Sony A77II DSLR

Canon 7D Mark II

Canon EOS 80D

Nikon D7200

Nikon D500

Nikon D5

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Pentax K-3 II

Nikon 1 V3

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.