Best canon DSLR for wildlife photography ?

Any recommendations on a canon DSLR for wildlife photography that’s not too expensive? Used one is fine too 

Best Answer

If you are shooting in daylight, any DSLR on the market is more than capable of being used for wildlife photography. I would avoid 1st or 2nd generation used bodies (Canon 300D/Nikon D70 type bodies) just because they are getting too old. Anything made within the last couple of years would be fine.

If you must use Canon for whatever reason, I would avoid the SL models or the Rebel models. Not that they are bad cameras, but because of the way their controls work. Look at a 60D or newer. You get two control dials, meaning you can adjust aperture and shutter without having to contort your fingers to press a button and spin and dial at the same time. The larger bodies also handle big lenses much better.

Then you have to have a lens you can actually use for wildlife. Sure, you can use an 18-55, but you won't be able to actually see anything in the photo. Bare minimum would be a 55-250... and 70-300 or longer is better.

A tripod is also a necessity, if you actually want to get sharp photos using a long lens. You can get by with a monopod if you know how to use one properly, but you can use a tripod like a monopod by simply folding the legs together until you need the tripod.

This is my wildlife/birding rig: Nikon D7500 with Sigma 150-600C on a (varies by what I grab) tripod or monopod. If there is going to be a lot of walking involved, I tend to go with the monopod, but end up wishing I'd brought the tripod instead every time.

Like everyone said, the lens matters much more than the camera body in wildlife photography. Any decent DSLR should do - I recommend any of the following cameras - 80D, 90D, 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II.

Get a telephoto lens - you can check this link here to understand your various alternatives - https://uaestore.canon-me.com/search/s/newInDesc/f...

the lens is more important

• keerok

Actually, any dSLR should do. It's the lens you should be more concerned of. Maybe a 400mm?

• Frank

Canon has designed the 7D Mark II (for those on a tight budget) and the 1DX as their best wildlife/sports cameras.  Nothing else that Canon makes compares to their capabilities specifically for wildlife and sports.  The 5D Mark iii/iv comes close, but still it's no 7D or 1D.

• qrk

Any DSLR camera body will suffice. The lens is the most important item and will be the most expensive.

THE BEST CAMERAS FOR WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHY ARE

Sony A77II DSLR

Canon 7D Mark II

Canon EOS 80D

Nikon D7200

Nikon D500

Nikon D5

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Pentax K-3 II

Nikon 1 V3