Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

If your colleague got flowers, gift basket & a card when she was sick & you got nothing, not even a “ welcome back” from 90% people.. rude?

shouldn't it be equal?

not favorites getting welcome back hugs and gifts..and some of us getting nothing, despite being sick three weeks.

shouldn't it be "give to all or none"?

I do not whine Bluebell, I’m friendly and a good worker.

You are rude & nasty assuming I’m like tnis!

Abuse is not needed

People who whine and complain all the time tend to be unpopular.

I suggest you ponder that for a while. See if you can draw any conclusions.

EDIT to add: The fact that you are complaining here suggests that complaining is your default position. If you are indeed as nice as you say, you wouldn't think of comparing how you were treated with how others were.

You say 'Shouldn't it be give to all or none' but the question is WHO should be giving? If it's official gifts from the company, then yes, it should be more 'equal', but as it's just individual colleagues, there's nothing to be done about it.

Life IS unfair, and the sooner people realise it, the better we'll all get on.

Not rude, just a glaring opinion as to how your colleagues feel about you compared to her. You reap what you sow, and apparently you aren't well liked (or missed) when not at work.

i think its rude but not much you can do about it

Colleagues have every right to like some people and not others.

What you are expecting is the kindergarten equivalent, "Everyone gets invited to a birthday party." They clearly like the other person better, sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear. Why, in the adult world, would they have to give you gifts to maintain some semblance of equality...when equality doesn't really exist. We all have friends we prefer, including at work.

Might have been an inside joke of which you are unaware.

If the flowers, etc. were personal gifts, even if they were from workplace colleagues, there was no obligation to send the same thing to other people.

When I was in the hospital, I received three nice cards from people I knew, but no gifts or flowers.  I still did appreciate the thoughtfulness.

Sometimes groups of friends form, in workplace situations.  Some people call them "cliques".  There's no point in complaining about being treated unfairly – it was not an official situation.