Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 2 months ago

Help with gene linkage and mapping!?

Attached is a question I've been trying to figure out. How's my reasoning?

My annotations are in red. So far, I've figured out:

We know 630 colonies survived when plated with ACD antibiotics...meaning they picked up the a/c/d resistance alleles, but remain wild-type for the b allele. Because SO MANY (630!) colonies seemed to inherit a/c/d together, and b completely separate from them, I would say b is the gene quite distant from the 3 other genes.

Now, to determine order of other 3 genes:

- 942 (many!!!) picked up A/D together. So A/D are probably adjacent.

- Then, 786 (many, but fewer) picked up C/D together. So C is further from D than A is far from D. The question becomes: is it "C---A-D" or is it "A-D---C"?

- Insight comes in with 640 (still fewer) picked up A/C together. That means A is quite FAR from C, because more distance = more recombination events that could split them up. So between the "C---A-D" or "A-D---C" listed above, it's more likely "A-D---C".

- We know B is far from the other ones, BUT is it like "B-------ADC", or is it like "ADC-------B"? Well, let's look: picked up B/C together is 51, but picked up A/B together is only 46. That means A is a little FURTHER from B than C is further from B, since 46 < 51.

- This led me to my proposed answer: that the order is "ADC---------B", or if you just flip it around, its equivalent: "B---------CDA".

How's my reasoning?

Attachment image

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

You did not present the question and background information here exactly as it was presented to you.

You did not quite ask a question.

The question itself may be flawed. Typically you do linkage mapping with an Hfr strain, not through transformation.

Bacteria have plasmids. Did you consider the possibility that A, C, and D are on the same plasmid and B is on a different plasmid?

Consider this possibility too: B is being picked up much less than any of the others. Maybe B is part of the main chromosome and it's a big dragging chromosome and thus much less likely to be picked up than the much smaller plasmid that hosts A, C, and D.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.