Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

Can you hunt an elk with a .22?

You could kill a deer with a pellet gun at close range so could a .22lr kill a elk at close range?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

Nope,

By definition, hunting is a lawful act of harvesting a wild animal. Every state in the USA and every other civilized country with wild Elk has laws prohibiting the use of .22LR, or other small calibers due to the unethical nature of shooting an animal with a firearm that is highly unlikely to cause lethal wound.

So, since its illegal to shoot elk with a .22, by definition doing so is not hunting. Shooting an Elk with a .22 is a crime, called poaching or animal cruelty, which is not hunting.

Therefore its impossible to hunt an elk with a .22. You can hunt elk with a larger caliber as allowed by local regulations. Or you could try to poach an elk by attempting to kill in a manner that violates local regulations.

• 4 weeks ago

Where I live you can't use less than a .270 in caliber. I imagine its because of its huge size but either way .22 is way to small for something like that.

• 1 month ago

That not good idea and is illegal.

• 1 month ago

Yes, but it is very unsportsman like. You owe it to the game to make a quick clean kill and with a 22 you can not do it. You are most likely going to wound the animal and it is going to suffer for quite a while.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Guns are very dangerous

• Robin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

no its not legal or ethical

• 1 month ago

Any pellet/air gun and .22 rimfire are illegal hunting any big game where I live.

Can't imagine how close you would need to be for a perfectly placed shot to kill something larger than bobcat.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt any deer with even a .22 hornet unless it meant my survival.

• 1 month ago

It almost seems wrong, but if you try I want you t film it.

• BOBBER
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you are standing on it

• Greg
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Sure, or it could end up killing you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.