Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

Moral Dilemma of sorts here, but about a fish?

So my dad told me not to get a fish for my college dorm (freshman year), but I've been going crazy not having

something

to take care of or be responsible for (I have cats at home, and a younger sibling, so living alone in a 7x11 room was a shock). I have houseplants as well, but I eventually got a fish (with my own hard-earned money). He's a betta fish, so he's easier to take care of. Point is, I haven't told my dad, but I will have to eventually because I can't leave the fish at the dorm over winter break. Any tips on how to break it to him?

(ps: my dad is a chill dude, pierced my own ear the second day of the semester and his only reaction was "at least you're not pregnant". He trusts me to make rational decisions)

(ps as well: I did have a roommate for a few weeks, but she moved to a dorm closer to her classes, leaving me in a double alone)

Just be honest. If it’s working out and you can handle the responsibility of school and the fish, then I don’t see any issue. You’re theoretically an adult and if it works, it works. I doubt he will get permanently upset with you over it.

I had a 5.5 gallon with a betta in college, was able to balance it all pretty well.

Presuming you're over the age of 12, you say, "Dad, when I come home I'll be bringing my betta fish."