sam asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 4 weeks ago

how do drs at the er test for stds? and how long does it take for a result from them?

i have yellow discharge after unprotected sex and i get this bad smell from time to time so i need to get tested. but i don’t have a clinic so i was gonna go to the er but i have no idea what to expect. do they get results that day and give me meds for it or what happens?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Byrd
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The ER is for emergencies not STD testing

• Pippin
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The ER is for medical emergencies. If there is really no clinic near you, see your regular doctor.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes and no. Some results are immediately available such as examining the discharge under a microscope and looking for yeast, trichomonas and cells consistent with bacterial vaginosis. Most sensitive tests are batched to decrease cost and so they are not immediately available at the time of visit. Tests like chlamydia and gonorrhea are not done by all labs because there isn't a lot of people getting those tests and are batched by reference labs and hospital labs normally do not do those tests.

Delays in testing will take days and the ER will get back to you if any tests turn out to be positive. If the signs and symptoms are classic for any STD then they might start treatment and wait for the results. The physical examination would help them determine if it is vaginitis or cervicitis as the causes for each is different.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.