O asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Is it rude to tell someone "that doesn't interest me"?

This is usually towards someone who will come up to me unsolicited and start ranting about something. And I couldn't care less

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

There is no obligation to engage with someone or something which is of no interest to you.

• 1 month ago

As so often, it's not WHAT we say, but HOW we say it.

Option A:

(Scowl) "That doesn't interest me." (Turn your back on them and walk away.)

Option B:

(Pleasant but neutral expression) "I'm sorry, but I'm really not very interested." (Go on with whatever you were doing)

Which option do you think is rude?

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is not rude to state that you have no interest in that matter. But do it an a calm tone, do not get into an argument.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

yes, thats rude, i wouldve just told them youre busy and dont have time to talk

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

not if you say Sorry but, first

• Chanel
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Yes it is a bit hurtful if that person is upset. They must feel they can confide in you.

Just say "don't worry about it" and keep saying that if they do it again and again. Then they may get fed up with hearing the same thing from you.

• A C
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Sort of.  A better way to handle it would be to say, "Excuse me, I have to run" and dash off somewhere until they are gone.  If they return and try again, maybe say, "I'm sorry, I'm kind of busy right now.  Maybe we could discuss this later."  If they still don't get the message, a cold stare might jolt them into reality.   At that point, it would be acceptable to say "That is not something I wish to discuss."

Source(s): my opinion
  • 1 month ago

It is more polite than saying "You have me confused with someone who gives a f**k." If someone is rude enough to rant at you without you inviting them to do so, telling them where to go is not rude but a reasonable response.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.