Stock market?

How do you make profits off stock market, I recently bought roku stock for 104 now it went up to 132. I did some research and it say u have to sell when it high to make money is that the case. Also I use Robinhood app

• Steve

I would think that much more gains are ahead for Roku. Yes, you sell stock when it is higher than what you bought it at, but alot of times the gain is much more than $28. If you havent sold it, I think you should hold it longer. You may make hundreds on it instead of $28. Holding for years is sometimes the name of the game.

Wrong. If you own it and it went up, then you ALREADY made money on the stock. You don't have to sell it to make money on it. However, the best time to sell, if and when you are going to sell, is when it is high.

• Judy

You make money by selling for more than you bought it for, and from dividends.

• Jeff T

It's just like if you buy anything else and try to resell it. To turn it into cash, you have to sell it.

Wayne said it well. If you feel selling your stock currently at $132 is time to sell you will have earned a profit of $28 per share less expenses and income tax at next years at State and Federal tax time. Good luck.

You don't make any profits until you click [SELL].

Prior to that, you have what are called "Unrealized Gains".

>>>>An unrealized gain is a potential profit that exists on paper, resulting from an investment. It is an increase in the value of an asset that has yet to be sold for cash, such as a stock position that has increased in value but still remains open. A gain becomes realized once the position is sold for a profit.<<<<

Edit:

That is up to you. If you think that it will go up more, don't sell. If you think that it may go back down, sell.

• tiescore
      1 month agoReport

That's the dilemma with growth stocks, when do you take profits. Why I'm overweight and recommend starting a portfolio with dividend paying stocks. My portfolio is about 50% dividend growth stocks, 30% REITs and the rest non-dividend paying stocks.