Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police ยท 1 month ago

Police asking for help? If a police officer gets in a physical struggle with a criminal on the street, and there are people around, can the?

police officer yell for help? I have never seen it.

In my state ( which is nsw ) within the Queen's Commonwealth of Australia - yes asking for help by state police officers ๐Ÿ‘ฎ๐Ÿ‘ฎ๐Ÿ‘ฎ๐Ÿ‘ฎ๐Ÿ‘ฎ๐Ÿ’‚๐Ÿ’‚๐Ÿ’‚๐Ÿ’‚๐Ÿ’‚๐Ÿš“๐Ÿš” is perfectly acceptable as long as there's no direct danger to the public especially if the officers are attempting to subdue an offender or offenders and the target is resisting arrest especially if the officers ๐Ÿ‘ฎ๐Ÿ‘ฎ are starting to lose grip and the suspect is trying to escape or trying to cause harm to the arresting officers ๐Ÿ‘ฎ ๐Ÿ‘ฎ - as long as it's not Santa Claus ๐ŸŽ… ; however, there's no real obligation as yet and a person can't be charged for failing to assist unless the state government should consider passing such law codes

• `

I'm guessing you're part of the Neighborhood Watch program.

Of course they CAN. In most jurisdictions, there is no legal obligation to actually attempt to help.

I would suggest a moral obligation.

Yes, and there is case law in AZ where an Officer was in a struggle, called for help, a bystander stepped in (he was armed, the person assaulting the Officer turned the handgun toward the bystander, and the bystander shot him dead.

It was ruled a justified shooting.

i dont see why they couldnt get help

They can yell all they want, sure.

No one's a criminal until the court declare them to be so don't be assuming nothing.

• STEVEN F
      1 month agoReport

A criminal is a criminal the instant they commit a crime.
      How they are treated by the legal system is a separate issue.

If it was legit and he needed to stop a legit bad guy, I'd jump in

• Kanga1 month agoReport

It sucks that that's a fear some people are forced to have. But here in LA, the cops have real **** to deal with. Most of us are black or brown and a good portion of the cops are black. So that never even crossed my mind.