When they test for a uti do they also test for pregnancy?

When I went in for a uti I was tested 3 times for pregnancy too (just in case) and they all came back negative, buuuutt it didn't show an infection either. They dipped for my levels and saw glucose, they suspected undiagnosed diabetes. When I mentioned this to my mother she told me that pregnant women often "leak sugar" and that the glucose could be one of the earliest signs of pregnancy! And she was damn right! A week later I took a test myself and was pregnant!

Ask what the urine test shows, if it shows glucose but no white blood cells, you could indeed be pregnant, they should pregnancy test you as standard when in for a uti as symptoms can often be similar 

• Edna

A routine urine analysis for a UTI does not test for pregnancy. It tests only for signs of a urinary tract infection. In order for the lab to test it for pregnancy, you would have to ask that a pregnancy test be run and your doctor would have to write an order to the lab and specifically request that they also test your urine sample for signs of pregnancy.

• Sarah4 weeks agoReport

They actually perform dip tests there in the office in front of you for white blood cells, ketones, glucose etc as soooo many conditions can give uti type symptoms and as routine, they should do a pregnancy dip.

If your doctor chose to do so, you would have been informed when the test was requested. A doctor doesn't just send in a urine dip and then say "Oh by the way, we tested it for pregnancy." It's required that you're told of test orders at the time they're requested.

No, they do not unless you specifically request a pregnancy test.

• Byrd

No why would they

• Sarah4 weeks agoReport

I can say from experience this isn't true. They should perform a dip in the office then and there. For ketones, antibodies,, glucose etc and a drop test for pregnancy. As lots of conditions can show uti like symptoms. It was a uti investigation that lead me to find out I was pregnant. 

• MissA

Often but not always. You can certainly ask for them to test for pregnancy.

Generally, yes. A doctor has to make sure the baby won't be contracting a disease while passing through the birth canal.

• No Bozos
      4 weeks agoReport

So, they test for ANYTHING that might effect the baby.

If you are of child-bearing age and showing symptoms associated with pregnancy then they'd be remiss not to. Suggest it if they haven't bothered.