Can an employer tell you what to do off the clock? ?

I’m a self checkout host and when I clock out I usually talk to my coworkers that I’m friends with before I leave. I’ve been doing this for almost a year and a half at least 2-3 times a week and never had any issues with it. In fact other department managers and store managers have joined in on conversations before with no problems at all. Recently we have gotten new cashier managers and the assistant manager came up to me doing this and told me I had to leave (this is her first week at are store) it puzzled me as to why over a year and half this has never been an issue with other managers who have known and seen me do this but for some reason it is now. Also can she tell me what I can and can’t do in the store if I’m clocked out and considered a customer. Throughout the day regular customers will come up and do the same to us staying 10-15 minutes and she has no problem but when I did it she said something. When it happened I didn’t make a big deal or anything and just left but still I’m curious if she can actually do this. 

• Judith

Yes. You might be off the clock, but they aren't. They are there to work - not gab with you. Are you so dense that you can't see that? And if you disregard the order you will more than likely be fired - as you should be.

When I have visited the place I retired from I can sit in the break room and talk to my former co-workers when they are on their breaks or lunches. I cannot visit them at their desks since they are being paid to work - not entertain me.

She can tell you that you can't be in the store. You're not "considered a customer" if you're just there to talk and not to buy anything. And even if you were considered a customer, she can tell customers what is or is not allowed in the store. If you don't like her rules for the store, then leave the store after you clock out, and talk somewhere else.

She CAN tell you what to do. Not because you are an off-the-clock employee, but because you are an on-the-property human.

Yes. She can do it when you are on the clock or off the clock, and you can choose to do what she says or disobey.

If any of the people involved in the conversations are still on the clock it makes complete sense. If everybody is off the clock the new manager is making a huge mistake. The comradery of employees talking is a substantial benefit to the employees which is very likely to encourage greater productivity. I suggest bringing in up to an upper level manager and ask if comradery between employees is no longer allowed. The manager who asked everybody to leave sounds inexperienced or a little ego starved.

Yes she can, if the other employees are on the clock they should not be chatting with you. You are a distraction to them. If your both off the clock that is different and talking should not be done in front of customers.

Talking to customers is different than talking to employees on or off the clock.

You can just reject my answer, but my point is legitimate.

Customers generally don't know when you are on or off the clock, if they see workers/employees just chatting it is not a good impression.

You don't have a union, so yes. You can be fired if she doesn't like you.

Many businesses have a 'no loitering' policy for employees when their shift is over. You're not a customer when you're standing around talking. I agree that it's petty 'I'm the boss!' crap on the part of this new manager, but there's nothing to can do about it.

IF your coworkers are still on the clock and/or IF you interfere with the normal operation of business, yes, you can be ordered to leave and/or terminated.

This is a problem in MY office. The receptionist works 7AM to 3PM, and she is replaced by a receptionist who works 3PM-9PM. Most employees work 7-1/2 hours within the 7AM to 9PM time frame. There was an issue with receptionist #1 chatting with receptionist #2 for a lengthy period of time. Often phones rang, people came in, there was in office conversation going on. I have NO issue with the two receptionists catching up on the private lives during coffee breaks or lunch (if one prefers to wait somewhere for the second to take a brake), but I cannot operate business with social encounters between (or among, in some cases) occurring.

After you clock out, you're not considered a customer. You're still an employee, but not working. Evidently, this new supervisor comes from a different management style than you're accustomed to. That doesn't mean anything's wrong with it.

Well, if you are talking to your coworkers while they are on the clock, then yes, she can.