Can the police drive on the shoulder in a traffic jam with no emergency looking for people on cell phones?

Can the police drive on the shoulder in a traffic jam due to construction with no emergency lights on looking for people on cell phones?

In MY State, yes, and this is not the LEAST bit uncommon on major highways.

One of my favorite stories involves me in a convertible in the inside lane in a traffic jam while a Police car (to my right) was driving on the shoulder. The idiot driver in a big van 2 vehicles ahead of me decided not to wait in line and pulled onto that shoulder. He no sooner pulled over than the cruiser turned on its lights, followed him until there was a clear area and got out to talk to the driver.

All of us in line gave the Officer a "thumbs up" as we went by!

i dont see why not

They can probably drive on the shoulder to get to the front of the jam to see what the cause is. If while doing that they see a violation I guess they can give a ticket.

• Gene1 month agoReport

This traffic jam was due to construction zone that was ahead about 1/2 mile