What are the chances of moving from Gestational diabetes to diabetic? ?

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes in my 2nd month of pregnancy through the oral gct when my sugar came up to 202. I was on insulin throughout the pregnancy and maintained my blood sugars well within the normal range. I gave birth a month back, and immediately stopped all insulin intake. The first week, my sugars were normal ,but they kept increasing every few days and were in the prediabetic range during the second and third week. Towards the end of the third week, the readings were higher than before just entering into the diabetic range. I was told to start insulin again until I did the FBS and PPBS test at six weeks. 

I am concerned what this means for me now. My doctor had initially said that the sugars were settling down and not to worry. But now she says that insulin is necessary and I might be diabetic. 

Can someone please shed some light on this? Is there a possibility that I am diabetic or can this settle down?

• Kerri
    Best Answer

Gestational diabetes arises in certain women who cannot overcome the insulin resistance that develops during pregnancy. In most cases, the condition goes away after the baby is delivered. However, women who have gestational diabetes have increased risks of developing Type 2 diabetes later in life. It’s important to note that gestational diabetes is not actually the cause of that long-term increased risk of Type 2 diabetes. In fact, it’s the other way around: the increased risk of Type 2 diabetes was there all along, even before pregnancy, and is the cause of the gestational diabetes. Gestational diabetes appears to be an early symptom of an abnormal ability to secrete insulin. It’s an early sign of a disorder that can eventually lead to Type 2 diabetes. Your lifetime risk of developing type 2 diabetes later in life may be as high as 50% but will be much lower if you eat a healthy diet, stay active and maintain a healthy weight.

Source(s): Nurse

It takes a few weeks to recover from pregnancy. Give it another month and reevaluate your hemoglobin a1c and your fasting blood sugar. Most of the time, gestational diabetes clears up.

Gestational diabetes is more common in families with diabetes, so just the fact that it happened shows you are at risk for diabetes, and so is your baby. 

There are many factors that increase your chances of developing full-blown type 2 diabetes.  If you're very overweight, or if the baby is very large (more than 8 1/2 pounds), if you're older, if you're Black, Hispanic, Native American, Asian or Pacific Islander, if you have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), and especially if you have diabetes in your close family.  Apparently it's a very common thing so you can google it and read about it lots of places.

In MOST cases your blood sugar settles down again after you have the baby. 

Good luck!  And congratulations!

• Byrd

Good question for the doc