What it's like to work a grant based contract job?

Has anyone worked a grand based contract job. I have an interview with a non-profit organization that helps veterans. They have a grant to do clinicinal case management with veterans for 2 years. If the grant doesn't get renewed the job could end after 2 years. Has anyone ever lost their job because a grant ended. Did you start looking for work before the grant ended just in case it didn't get renewed? I'm currently working as a therapist in a permanent program, but this position pays more. Also they have made to many changes to my current position and I am ready to leave.

Favorite Answer

Grants are often not renewed. Grant renewal often depends on success of a program, particularly new or pilot programs. If there is no other source of funding, the job ends. Yes, you start looking for another job before you lose your job.

• Laurie

It is precarious. The grant can be withdrawn, or the contract could be terminated. Don’t do it unless you have a sound backup plan.