Can someone who is mentally disabled get fired?

I work with a guy who is mentally disabled and he is not doing his job. 

Update:

His job is to push shopping carts and loading customers cars. He is hiding and leaving all the work for his co workers who work in the lot with him. 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

A mental disability doesn't make a person immune to being fired for failing to do his/her job.

• Judith
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Of course they can. The Disability Act doesn't protect people who can't do their job; it merely requires accommodations needed so that they can do their job; e.g. a ramp for an employee who is in a wheelchair IF there is room for the ramp. It does not require an employer to hang onto any employee who is mentally or physically disabled who is unable to do the job assigned them. However, it would require an employer to assign a job if one is available which they can do - that is reasonable accommodations.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, it's a business and when it comes to business it's can you perform or not, it's not about personal feelings towards the mentally disabled.

• Sassy1 month agoReport

He's mentally disabled not mentally ill 

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Although they are expected to make reasonable accommodations, anyone can be fired if they are unable to perform the job.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i dont see why not, talk to your manager about it

• Sassy1 month agoReport

My co workers and I been telling management about it. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Sure.

In right-to-work-states they can fire you for no reason.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

if they get violent or refuse assignments by the boss im sure ..

• 1 month ago

In most places in the USA anyone can get fired at any time for any reason.  Other countries have more labor laws.  It depends on the local laws.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.