Would you stay with a cheater to become a permanent resident?

If you were married to citizen of another country, you were so much in love but unfortunately they cheated on you multiple times... would you tolerate it to be a permanent resident?

My Colombian friend is stuck on that position. She just found out recently that her husband (a naturalized US citizen, orginally from Mexico) of 2 years have been cheating on her for several months. She's miserable now (she was in tears last time I visited her) but her parents are suggesting her to tolerate it for the meantime. Would you take back a cheater in that case?

3 Answers

  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

    Depends how long she has to wait for permanent residency. She might feel that this is the price she is paying for that privilege. She should avoid getting pregnant because he obviously has no respect for her. He probably thinks she's after him for residency rather than true love. Her parents obviously want her to gain a Passport.

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Depends on how badly she wants to stay in the country. But as she can remove the marital conditions from her green card at two years and still retain permanent resident status even if they divorce one wonders what she’s waiting for.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Unfortunately, you'll have to see it through to get the documents in the end. That's the problem with falling in love with somebody you're only using to get a citizenship status with.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.