Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 4 weeks ago

8 month old tantrums ? ?

So my son is almost 8 months. He has 2 teeth and think another on way so he is quite grouchy with the teething. The thing is he is gets himself in a right state lately, if he sees any of us with food (he had already had his breakfast just before, he will want mine) he wants anything I have to hand that isn't edible, he screams if he drops a toy or dummy and whines most of day. I just don't know what to do. Is it just teething and he's agitated ? I give him calpol, teething rings etc. Or is this normal 8 month old behaviour or am I reinforcing giving in to his demands ? Thanks 

Sounds like teething and a combination of what LizB said down below. You'll make it through this hurdle, I promise! When your little one throws a fit try distraction like playing music or shaking a toy. When it comes to you having food, maybe he is still hungry? As for him wanting things that aren't edible, that is completely normal. Don't worry. My 2 year old still gets into everything(much to my annoyance) but I chalk that up to her being a normal curious toddler. :) 

At eight months that is still a tiny baby. So, comforting is the order of the day. You can easily adapt Marilyn Monroe's song "I Found A Dream" as a lullaby. "I found a dream, holding you in my arms, the whole night through. I'm yours, no matter what others may say or do. Light of heart and fancy free, that's the way to start. There's nothing to lose 'til you lose your heart." Also Anbesol on their gums and setting their bassinet on the floor up against the dryer while it is running, NOT on top because the vibration will eventually rock the baby right off the top and onto the floor.

When a toddler can't be satisfied with the food it's getting , maybe change its diet somewhat v(?)

People who tell you that you are "re-enforcing his demands" are full of crap. This whole theory that the way you treat babies is the way you always have to treat a child is RIDICULOUS. A baby is a BABY for goshsakes! It is a temporary state which they themselves grow out of and impatiently start crawling off your lap, climbing down and start being little busy, active toddlers and small children who want to run around playing with each other. Babies are another species in a real sense, and it only lasts a little while. Babies should absolutely be indulged. They are not independent, but are tiny and helpless. Small children become very independent and want less and less frequently to be comforted and held, in favour of getting away and running and playing. And you will be naturally less inclined to indulge them then, and that is the way you "ween" them off of the constant comforting which tiny infants crave. A tiny, helpless little teething creature needs 100% comforting and love and support because they cannot get it any other way. That is precisely the stage of life, the ONLY stage of life, when you should. Ignore these cold-hearted bastards. The two year old that your 8 month old will become will not even remember being that 8 month old and will NOT expect the same treatment. The cold hearted machine type of people give crap advice like there is just one type of way to treat every child at every stage, when Common Sense tells you otherwise. Simple solutions for simple minds. Just LOOK at the baby. Ignore the worry about "addiction" and rub some damn Anbesol on its gums for Pete's sake. Cradle it and rock it and soothe it, it doesn't stay a baby forever.

• LizB

Google "the wonder weeks" and read up on Leap 6, since I'm guessing that's where you baby is now. Babies and toddlers go through a number of "leaps" where brain development is advancing rapidly and they're learning new abilities and skills, and it's really common for crankiness, fussiness, poor sleep, clinginess, and appetite changes to be a result. It doesn't mean you're a bad parent or "spoiling" your baby, not in the slightest! Your baby's little brain is just getting easily overwhelmed right now, and until he's through this phase, extra attention and patience and comforting is what he needs most.

Also, if you've ever heard "you can't spoil a baby," it still applies. Children really can't being "spoiled" by too much attention until they're older toddlers/preschoolers and are capable of realizing that they can manipulate other people's actions. An 8 month baby is literally developmentally incapable of having ANY understanding of what impact his actions have on you, so you won't encourage bad behavior by being responsive to his needs. I would, however, start reading up on baby sign language and start working with him on learning a few simple signs. It'll come in really handy as he gets older, trust me!

The link (below) addresses the pain and crankiness of teething, and how to deal with it.

• Rick

let him yell, won't hurt him ..................................

Source(s): Grand Dad of Twelve.
    • Tomalochk
      4 weeks agoReport

Wouldn't that make the toddler resent authority ?

• Mark

This must just be a coincidence (right?) but someone posted a VERY similar story in the SAME written accent about "taking a baby to McDonald's to buy a 'Happy Meal'" and when the baby didn't get the toy he wanted, he would not stop screaming. Like I said, it must be a coincidence.

• Fuhr

Leave him at the fire station.