Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Would you deem this as rude ?

I gave my partners sister lots of makeup. High end very expensive makeup. She already has a lot I assumed and she enjoys it. I have never met his sister, however I told him to pass it on. Some of it was totally unused. Maybe she didn’t want it... maybe she had thrown it all out. However, she never said thank you. She passed it on as a thank you. We all have Facebook or social media. I just find it a bit rude. I don’t believe she has ever used it. Now I feel like a fool. No I did not expect a thanks but now I think about it... it’s just no manners. She has social anxiety, and added me on Facebook ... I think she just wanted to stalk me. So I removed it. I’m so over it. 

• `
    Best Answer

She said "thank you" in a roundabout way. Some people aren't taught proper etiquette when receiving gifts. Don't spend a lot of time worrying about this.

You handed your partner some make up for his sister. He passed it on to her. So far she hasn't thanked you.

OK, so far so clear. But then you said 'She passed it on as a thank you'. I don't understand this at all. 'She' is your partner's sister? She 'passed' the make up on - to whom?How do you know? 'As a thank you' - how do you know?

This sentence makes absolutely no sense to me.

• John P

It is indeed a bit rude not to thank somebody. But I have to say that your action was strange. You have never met that female, and thus she must have been mighty surprised by a very expensive gift from you. She might have been suspicious of your motives, and have thus decided tat no contact was the bet response.

Yes, a little gift of a cake or a bottle of wine if she had invited you both to dinner, but lots of very expensive perfume when you have never met her??

• John P
      1 month agoReport

Sorry, typo: "decided that no contact was the best response".

You should have realized that makeup products are highly individualized.  Women need to make their own choices about manufacturers, colors, and other product features.

You meant well.  It's not really your fault that your gifts were not appreciated the way you had hoped.  Chalk it up to experience, and choose your gifts more carefully, next time.

• Edna

Why would you expect your partner's sister thank you, if you told your partner to pass on to his sister a lot of your old makeup - makeup that she didn't ask you for and probably didn't want? You've never met her. What made you think she would WANT your old makeup?

Makeup should be tossed in the trash after 6 months anyway, and you should NEVER use makeup that has previously been used by someone else.

Probably not. From your description I would probably not even care one way or the other unless it was a formally-given gift, which apparently it wasn't. I think you're overthinking it.

I actually think you should have contacted her and asked her if she wanted it first. 

I find it strange that you sent a bunch of used make-up to someone you've never met, didn't ask and find it rude that they passed it on to someone else.

Your heart may have been in the right place, but not everyone wants your used crap.

If someone you'd never met put a box of used stuff that you don't want on your porch without asking, would you be writing a thank you note?

"Maybe she didn’t want it"   Nailed it.  And that's why you should have asked first especially if you're going to get all butt-hurt about it. 

yes, i think that was rude too

• Foofa

If you're "over it" one wonders why you're here complaining about it. But if this person is mentally ill you can't really expect her to have "normal" reactions to things.

• y

She passed it on as a thank you. Was all that was needed in this situation. Everything else, is your own issues.