Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

Can a child prodigy be childish too?

My younger sister will be turning 11 on Dec. Her IQ is 135 and is currently in 8th grade now.

Overall there are moments she's very mature for her age but still acts like a kid around me. She won't talk to me about harder concepts nor use elaborated terms like she does to others.

She gets lazy around me and reverts back to talking and acting like a kid.

• Foofa

The happiest child prodigies are those who are also allowed to have a childhood. So let her have her time to be just a kid. It'll be important to her later mental health.

• Lili

135 is quite bright, but it's not genius level, and it's really not a "prodigy" level either, not intellectually speaking. Perhaps she's a prodigy in something else -- music or art?

Of course an 11-year-old with an IQ at that level can act like an 11-year-old. Most do. I think it's fair to say that most professors at most universities have IQs around that level, and you may be sure they acted like kids at the age of 11.

I don't know what my IQ is, but I'm a professor. I was perhaps unusually well-read at 11 and had a large vocabulary, but otherwise, I was your basic 11-year-old.

As long as people have emotions, we are all prone to childishness. The answer is yes in case that went over your head.

Did she actually took an IQ test? Her ability to memorize information and detect patterns quickly is unrelated to being mature or immature. The term mature itself is a man-made concept that isn't clearly defined. If by being mature you mean taking responsibility for ones actions, then having a good memory, which is essentially what an IQ test measures, is completely irrelevant. The behavior you have probably associated to a mature person comes from life experiences and information you derive from them. She is still a kid and has no life experiences, therefore very little information. Her ability to memorize information does not mean she has a lot of information.

• Justin

My intelligence level is significantly higher than that & I chose to use it to convince people that I didn't have that level of intelligence. I made a game of consistently earning 90%, (referred to as an "A-minus" in my education system), earning this overall average in every class, entertaining myself with all the different ways I could do this. When confronted about it, I used the argument that it was unfair to target someone who was getting 'A's' in school. Because they were not 'A-pluses,' (which might possibly indicate that I wasn't being challenged enough), I was not invited or compelled into 'gifted' programs. I made the point that I wasn't 'smart' enough because I would be getting 100% on my tests if any big change in my classes was warranted. I also avoided getting grades averaging lower than 'A-' because teachers would start to claim that I wasn't applying myself or was slacking off.

Taking the decisions of your own life into your own hands and refusing to be exploited by others is called 'liberty.' All the prodigy in the world guiding us or our children away from it is nothing but evil. The 'smart' are equally capable of having and expressing a conscience as well. Your role in influencing children matters, especially when they have the potential to do either great good or great damage.

42“Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe to stumble, it would be better for him if, with a heavy millstone hung around his neck, he had been cast into the sea." (Mark 9:42).

• y

Yes, I wasn't aware 135 was prodigy. Doesn't matter.  It is very common for one who is advanced in this, that or another area or four, to be normal or shall we say, less then in other areas.

I'm thinking she is comfortable, being herself around you, as opposed to anything negative you might be thinking. She is 11 after all.

Of course.

The problem with a lot of child prodigies is that they aren't allowed to be children.

Well she can't be on high level 135 IQ adult mode all the time, can she? In order to give that brilliant brain of hers some rest, she sometimes has to simply act like a kid. Because after all, she is still a kid.

• Lili
      1 month agoReport

A 135 IQ is very bright but not "brilliant".