Can u use a passport card as a birth certificate?

Kinda silly but applying for a county job and they require a birth certificate.... Anyways I lost it but I have a passport Id card isn't that practically the same? Is that acceptable as a birth certificate? I get every county is diff but shouldn't that be enough ? 

• Foofa

That should suffice, yes.

No; if you've been asked for a birth certificate, you'll need to provide a birth certificate.

If you've lost your copy, you can apply for a new one.

I dont think so . You must bring something from your country.

• Lisa A

No county is allowed to pick and choose the documents that it will accept. google form I-9 and read it. It says what documents you can show.

• "they require a birth certificate."

The only person who can tell you what one specific county will accept is that one specific county.

In most places a "passport ID card" isn't remotely the same thing as an actual birth certificate.

If you're talking about a US employer, they cannot legally require a birth certificate. I am surprised that a county government would be asking for one.

I am guessing that they are looking for documents to complete an I-9 form. Take a look at this list - any combination of documents that satisfies this requirement is allowable and must be accepted by an employer (a US passport card is a "list A" document):

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/acceptable-docum... 

• Vicki

No, it's not the same and wont be accepted. You should re-apply to get your birth certificate back (like a copy of it or a new one).

If they require a birth certificate, they do not have to accept anything else. It's up to them, so ask.

If you lost your birth certificate, you can obtain a certified copy from Bureau of Vital Statistics, Hall of Records, or whatever they call the authority which issues birth & death certificates in the jurisdiction where you were born. Use your passport card, driver's license, and other govt-issued photo ID, appear in person, and get a replacement.

• random_man
      1 month agoReport

An employer must accept any combination of documents that are on the list for the I-9 form. 

• Maxi

No, they require a primary document, not a passport card which is not primary for date of birth........... appl for a copy of your birth cert and then keep it in a safe/secure place so you don't lose it

• Mark

It should be, given that you have to have a birth certificate to get a passport or passport card. But I would ask your future employers - sometimes people can be illogical.

• RICK
      4 weeks agoReport

Yo only need a birth certificate for your first passport which could have been many years ago (over 50 in my case)