Can the Supreme Court just give daca dreamers citizenship? ?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

@ RICK They will decide if the current President can cancel an executive order issued by the previous president. Want to guess what they will decide?

Nope. However, they can and will decide the current President can cancel the Executive Orders issued by the previous President.

• RICK
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Thry probsbly will decide in Trumps favor
      That does not mean its right
      But the are mainly conservatives who only follow the constitution when it serves their agenda in this case they will diregard it

• RICK
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No they can not

They interpet laws not make laws

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

SCOTUS doesn't make law it only deliberates to determine whether existing laws meet Constitutional muster. The Court is only looking to rule on whether the DACA program was Constitutional when it was created and whether a successive administration can undo it.

• W.T. Door
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Incorrect. They are deciding if the current President can cancel an executive order issued by the previous president.

• 4 weeks ago

No. Congress decides who can get citizenship if they were not born in the U.S. The Supreme Court does not.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

No.

The Surpreme Court decides disputes brought before them based on their constitutionality. So if, say, the President would give DREAMERs permanent residency via executive order, and the "other" party in Congress files suit, and the Supreme Court would decide to take this on (totally their decision), they would determine that the President's executive order was unlawful and thus override it.

There's no way to hand out US citizenship to anybody.

Related, understand that there are many immigrants who do not want to become US citizens, namely those who would automatically lose their original citizenship at the time that were to happen. So if I'm an immigrant from Japan and plan to retire in Japan after I made a fortune in the United States, the very last thing I would want to lose is my Japanese citizenship because some inconsiderate idiot of a US President made me a US citizen against my will, hereby closing the door to my retirement country for good.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
    • W.T. Door
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

The actual question in this case is if the current president can cancel an executive order by the previous president. Remember the crazed 9th Circuit said Trump could not cancel Obama's EO creating DACA.

• 4 weeks ago

No, they just interpret the law. Trump could give them a path to citizenship (as Reagan did with the illegals who were here when he was president), but Trump won't do that.

• RICK
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

That takes Congress
      Congress passed asmnesty, Reagan just agred and signed the bill

• 4 weeks ago

No. They must uphold the Constitution, and the laws enacted by Congress. They cannot grant citizenship to those who have violated visa/immigration law.

Blame your parents for putting you in an untenable situation if you are an illegal alien. You are going to have to return to your own country, and no way around it.

• RICK
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

The conservatives on the SC only uphold the Constitution when it favors them otherwise they disregard it

• Ron
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No. They can only determine if a law or EO is constitutional. Seriously dumb ***, did you not pay attention in the 4th grade?

• 4 weeks ago

SCOTUS are a wrecking power. They can interpret the constitution in any way like in abortions and gay marriges

• 4 weeks ago

SCOTUS can do anything, they are, literally, the law.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.