Atheists, do you agree that not everything needs to be believed on evidence but DEMONSTRATION is always required, as is the case with maths?

I see there’s a confusion on terms. ‘Demonstration’ is to do with the connection between statements in the logical argument itself, it doesn’t mean empirical observation. You can’t empirically observe maths as you can physics, but you can demonstrate mathematical proofs

Evolution can be demonstrated. 

• Nous

Why the lack of education?

Huge amounts of maths cannot be demonstrated! The theory might but not the maths! Mathematicians are still working to prove some of Einstein's equations!

No doubt what you are really trying to excuse is the fact that the first person to produce a single tiny little piece of verifiable evidence for any god will become world famous and mega rich!

Academia states that in the absence of any sort of evidence of the existence of something it must be deemed not to exist until verifiable evidence is found - thus god is held not to exist pending some sort of verifiable evidence.

• poldi2

Atheists don't believe any gods exist. That has nothing to do with maths.

• Jeremy

Needed for what, exactly?  For saying you have absolute certainty about it, sure.  For saying it is the most likely explanation? 

No.  Rational inferences can be made about the world.  

If I leave a cup of ice on the counter, leave, come home hours later and find the same cup in the same place filled with some amount of water, it is a rational assumption that the ice melted.  Now, it is possible someone else in my household used the cup, tossed out the ice, filled it back up with water from the sink and left it where it began.  But, that is a far less likely answer.  It makes many assumptions for which I have no evidence.  The only assumption made in the ice melting is that the laws of physics continued as normal while I was away.

We build a model that helps us best approximate reality.

I'm always intrigued by questions such as this: what point are they trying to make? By asking someone's opinion on something is anything going to change? If, for example, an atheists says that, in their opinion, something doesn't need evidence to be true, that suddenly means that a god exists? No it doesn't.

You are asking only for an opinion here, not a definitive response which will improve your knowledge on something and, on this forum at least, it is irrelevant.

• Hercules1 month agoReport

My motive? To check intellectual humility. I’m an atheist myself but the intellectual arrogance on here isn’t always reserved for theists only

God has natural laws so math works but God is not bound by it God is greater and Daniel said in last days men would worship a god of forces

• A Nonny Mouse
      1 month agoReport

So you can prove what laws your god is and isn't bound by, then? Care to share? Oh, and who is Daniel and what are his credentials for being able to speak for this god of yours?

No, not always.

Evidence is needed, but that can be and often is inferred by other effects rather than the ones directly examinable or direct demonstration.

The computer or phone you used to write the question is based in some ways on theories that can only be proven indirectly, as well as many others that can be demonstrated separately.

We cannot see electrons directly, but the whole science of electronics is based on their existence and properties, using principles and effects which are in some cases indirectly ascertained.

• EddieJ

Do you agree that a DEMONSTRATION on Pluto will not be visible on Earth without special equipment?

-----------------

Edit: Math deals with abstract objects. A circle is a concept. It doesn't need a specific radius until one needs to instantiated. Have you ever lateralized a DEMONSTRATION? How much would you pay for one?

If I say that A + B = 24

at some point you have to imagine what the values of A and B are.

I have never seen a baby pigeon.

I don't have to.

Somehow I know they exist.

• Mikey

Belief is completely irrelevant as it has no bearing on outcome.