Are we going to Mars before I die?

It's like this – I am 46 now, I was told we would be living on the moon, flying to work and have robots performing servile household tasks. Am I going to see a Man on Mars before I am dead?

Happy?

All I have seen is moblie phones, the internet and cars which start up first thing in in the morning

• oyubir
    Best Answer

I am 1 year older than you are. So I can say confidently: no, you weren't told that we will be living on the Moon, and have robots.

Your father was told so.

Mine was. It is in my father old comics book that I read all those stories that not one second doubted that in 2000 we would all fly with the family Sedan space rocket, to the Moon for the week end.

In our generation, it was pretty clear for all informed people that it would not be done in our lifetime. When you were born, the Moon program was already dead.

For Mars: your president (I assume you are American, since it is the main population here) said man on Mars is for 2024 (i guess that precise calculation is taking into account the last full year of what he hopes to be is second term. Probably because such a success would be favorable for either his bid for a 3rd term and a repeal of the 22nd Amendment, or a Kuchner-Ivanka 2024 campaign).

I seriously doubt it will happen. Mars is not just the next step after the Moon. Sending rocket there is feasible (and has been done). One large enough to be habitable, with sustainable accelerations for a human being, and capable of going back is way harder, but also feasible from a technological point of view. Just very hard work needed.

But keeping human alive during the travel is something else.

For now, nobody know how it is even possible to protect from the radiations for such a long trip.

But well, I am no prophet, and can't answer directly to your question. Nobody can. If the next presidents continue to want it, and if they fund it, than, it can happen during your lifetime,

But my bet is that it will not. It will not occur before the end of Trump term (which probably be in 2021, not 2025). And after that, next presidents, and more generally humanity, will have more important things to do with the half trillion of $ of that program budget.

For the robots: just buy a Roomba.

Edit (reply to your update): Internet was already there. You weren't using it, that's all. Again, I have the same age (or so). I started using Internet as a teenager.

I say that not to contradict. But because it is also part of the answer: it tells you how long there is between the theory, and lab version of a tech, and its real usage.

People had the feeling of an explosion of internet tech after 2000. But in reality, it is older than you are. And was just "yet a new network". There was other networks even before.

Likewise everybody discovered 3D printing in 2012. But it dates back from the early 1990s.

So it takes time between theory and real usage.

And for now, there is no working theory for a humanoid robot like C3PO nor for a way to send living human to and back from Mars.

I am old enough to remember when humans walked on the Moon. I am afraid that if the generation that saw men walking on the Moon does not send someone to Mars, that people may never go to Mars.

• Paula

Hmmm

No

So get ready for a disappointment

Despite much hype, there is still no deffinate plan for a return to the moon.

You will be well into your 70s before a Mars trip could lift off.

I suggest you be content with watching a moon trip -- if and when it happens.

If you do lots of pushups and avoid fried food, there is a chance that you might reach about ten thousands years of age. So yes there is a chance that some bozo will be shot all the way to Mars for some reason in your lifetime.

I am 60, and was waiting for it to happen after the Apollo Missions

I take heart though that in my lifetime, Probes have visited all the Solar System's Planets

I think Mars will come even before I die

I intend to live as long as I can

It is not that I am Afraid to Die, I just don't want to be there when it happens

Anyway, we do have the Technology

Source(s): Dragonfly, couldn't we give it Water Wings as well ?
  • John

I get the feeling that people - I include Musk, seemingly - think that a mission to Mars will be like a mission to the moon, but longer. Crammed into the capsule on top of his latest rocket, sucking on Tang. NOBODY is going to sit in a chair for 8 months. It's not just torture, it is physically impossible. So we are talking "living quarters" for 4-6-8 people and all that goes with that. We are talking about sending a 4 bedroom house through space. And we are very, very far away from doing that.

• "strap someone in a chair for 8 months"? At least they would get to experience Assterhoids first hand. Maybe we will get some spinoffs from that!

At 46, it's not likely. 

Possible, but... not likely.

Have a nice day.

No, we won't ... sorry.

We will not be going to Mars for 50-to-75 years based on the fact

that the Mars Rovers have sent back TONS of information about the

exceptionally strong radiation that has been detected on the Martian surface.

If and/or when we make our first trip to Mars, we will have to

send radiation-proof lodging, non-perishable foods, greenhouses,

and specially designed storage facilities just to get things under way.

Technically, a Mars landing isn't even a blip on the radar yet.

And, it shouldn't be.

• Trey1 month agoReport

Well musketts aren't smart enough to know that Elon is a complete idiot. He's just a pocket of money and a charismatic face, just like Steve Jobs he takes all the credit for the hard work for the 150+ IQ's working beneath his 80- IQ ***.

Same with all rulers. Idiots without their servants.

I'm fifty-two and I feel your disappointment, believe me. Back in '72, Nixon announced plans for a human mission to Mars in 1979-81 and I expected that all the way through the 1970s, and it didn't happen. Then 1986 was the date publicised and that didn't happen either. I'm reluctantly forced to let go of the dream. I'm sorry. I think, if they were going to go, they would've done by now.

But we do have robot vacuum cleaners.

It's projected that the first manned Mars missions will taken place between 2035 and 2040.