If I refused insurance on a rental , then damage it am I still liable even though I did not sign for the car I damaged ?

You "signed" for something!

Or somebody else signed.

And THEY are responsible.

How was it that YOU were driving?

Yes, but your credit card may pay for it. I verified that long ago before renting because the cost was high but I did not want to go without.

• zipper

You were an idiot, and yes you are!

You signed for the car you rented, otherwise you never would have got a rental.

So yeah, you, by not taking out insurance agreed to pay for the damages done to the car which is NOT YOUR PROPERTY.

You owe, and they can seize all you assets in order to collect.

The person who signed for the car is responsible. If you weren't listed as a named driver on the rental agreement by the person who signed for the car then their insurance company may decline to pay the claim and sue you directly for the damages. Most rental policies only cover the renter and additional drivers must be named or they aren't covered. I suspect that this incident is going to turn into an EPIC FAIL for someone. .

No. Whoever signed the contract is responsible. Unless you're talking about an online contract, which does not require a paper signature. Because if that's what you're talking about, hell yes you're responsible. That's why they verified your credit card before you got the keys.

Even if you didn't cause the damage yourself, even if you weren't anywhere near the car when the damage happened, you're still responsible. When you enter into a rental contract, you've got two choices. You can buy their (nearly) all inclusive damage insurance and pay a fortune for it, or you accept responsibility for whatever happens to the vehicle until they process the return. It's one or the other, no middle ground.

If the rental comes back with any damage, they just bill it to your credit card and be done with it. You can then claim compensation through your auto policy, your credit card, your cell phone plan or whoever you want, and that's your business not theirs. They got their money from you, just like the contract says, and you deal with the aftermath.

• Jay P

You are responsible for the vehicle while you have it. You will be liable for all damage. Who pays for it depends on what your insurance coverage you have through your own insurance company or the credit card you used for the rental.

Whoever signed the rental contract is responsible for the damage.

• May

Unless you have other insurance from a credit card and/or from an extension of your own vehicle's insurance to the rental, then Yes, of course you are liable.

• audrey

Yes. You should have bought the insurance.