Jen asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Overwhelmed by new kitten.?

I have been off work for two months with anxiety and depression. I’ve always had cats when at my parents house and they not only make me feel better but force me to get up and look after them. As I no longer live there and to try bring me out of how I’m feeling, I got an eight week old kitten. He is lovely and I’ve only had him three days but I feel totally overwhelmed. I can’t bond with him and just cry all the time. I feel like he is too much for me. I keep thinking I made a mistake but I’m scared to give him up because of how I’ll feel and that my family will judge me for not trying. Who gets a kitten and can’t cope? It seems so silly but I really feel so low about it.

What a large burden to put on a young kitty. Find him a good home..making that decision might help you clear your head a bit. So sorry for your suffering it’s hell.

• Ocimom

Find a new home for the kitten. Kittens take a lot of work when young. Perhaps an older adult cat would suit you better. They are not as active and overwhelming.

• PAMELA

Just take the kitten to a shelter and pull yourself together.

• Marine4 weeks agoReport

Don’t give the kitten to a dam shelter! They are NOT disposable. Take some time with the little one get a laser pointer and use it for him to chase and burn off some of the baby energy and tire him out some. He will calm down and you’ll die laughing. It’s funniest thing you’ll ever see trust me!!

• Ken S

IT"S NOT ABOUT YOU. Give him up now while he has the best chance of being adopted.

• Maxi

Get to your doctors and get some medication, go and find someone you can trust who your can talk to...'buying a kitten' is not going to 'make you feel better' .once you have got your mental health started to be sorted out, get back to work asap as keeping busy, having to get up will certainly improve your mental health.... and the kitten will then have the home and owner it deserves...no animal is an antidepressent alternative and no animal deserves to be treated as one

first of all an 8 weeks old kitten should be with his mother, not with u. and if u re crying over a small cute kitten u re not well in the head and must give the cat back and get mental help. u should not adopt any animal. they re there not for making u feel better, they re there for YOU to take care of them

You have no business having an animal that depends on you for food and water. You don;t seem capable of taking care of yourself, how do you expect to take care of a kitten.

• TB12

You need to give it some more time, three days is not long enough to bond with your kitten, if after a few weeks you're still not able to bond then you need to find the kitten a home with someone that will bond with him.

And, just my opinion here, I don't think the kitten is the problem, you need to find someone to talk to that can help with your depression issues.

I'm sorry you're suffering. You have two choices, change your outlook or change your situation. The kitten deserves to have a good life with someone who is happy to have him, and you also deserve to be happy. Maybe quit being so mean to yourself?