nic618 asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Why is this stray cat so attached to us immediately?

My boyfriend and I were sitting outside this evening and heard a loud meow come from our patio overhang.  There was a cat stuck on it!  We coaxed him down with a tiny piece of chicken at the end of a ramp we made for him to walk down.  Once on the ground we opened our back gate to let him out.  We went inside to wash up.  When we came back outside he was sitting next to our table waiting for us.  He was immediately affectionate rubbing up against our legs then jumping on my boyfriends lap for cuddles.  We tried one more time to let him out but he came right back into the backyard to sit with us.  We posted pics on FB for a lost cat in our community.  It seems like he has made us his humans.  He is very friendly and would be flattered if this is the case.  We’ve never had a cat so we are full of questions.  I am just curious as to why he has chosen to stay.  Does anyone have a clue?  Is it because we have him a tiny piece of chicken?  Is it possible he has a home?  He looks like someone’s pet.  It looks like he had a collar and it was somehow taken off due to an indent in his fur.  Any suggestions?  I’m really curious why he would just stay and hang out.  I wasn’t much of an animal person until we met a few hrs ago.  I’ve already named him.  Lol.  

That's simple, it's because the cat likes you, and after you fed them, they know you will do so again. If a cat has a good experience with someone in particular, they will then want to be with them as a result. It would be like a little child being around an older sibling who they admire.

It would be like Pavlov's dogs salivating when the heard the bell ring, because they associated hearing the bell ring with being fed, so they would salivate whether they were fed or not.

You fed him, he expects more food now. It's not rocket science.

• Kerri

Once he realized you could be trusted and you provided food, he was yours lol. Cats tend to stay once they are fed. I’ve had dozens of pet cats in my life and anytime I fed a stray I always ended up with a new friend for life. It’s just how cats are. You could take him to your local vet or shelter to get scanned for a microchip. If he doesn’t have a chip and no one comes forward then just keep him and enjoy him. Cats are such fun. Go get some catnip and toss on the floor for him to get an idea of just how fun and entertaining they are!

• Ken S

Possibly owned but most likely dumped by someone.

You have been chosen!!!!

Please feed canned foods over dry foods for a better chance at a longer healthier life

Thanks for caring

try to get it scanned for a microchip...contact a local cat rescue for advice on how to find someone to do it

• Maxi

Oh he had/has a home and many cats will have several 'homes' often each 'owner' thinks they are the cats only owner........ next door had a cat, he would call in and see me daily and I later found he called to 'see' lots of people each and every day, the owner died and a few weeks later animal control knocked on my door to see if I had seen the cat as the owners family didn't want it so they were collecting it to take it to 'rescue' he was about 5-6 yrs old and I knew he was sleeping on my bed as I had made sure I looked after and fed him...told animal control "no, not seen him in the last few hours" ( which I hadn't as I had not gone into the bedroom) we were moving in about 3 weeks so I took him with us, he lived until he was at least 19yrs old but NEVER got out of the habit of visiting other people as they fed him, they loved him, he could tease their dogs ( who he was not scared of)

I have a vacation home, one day I saw a cat sleeping under a hay. he was sleeping all day. and the next day. and the next day. when I tried to approach him he got up and ran away on a safe distance. so one day I had left over turkey and decided to give it to him. when he saw I was holding turkey he ran towards me an ate it. the next day I bought him wet food, when I approached with a sacthet of wet food he got up, saw it was not real food and ran away. I left wet food in a bowl and left. he came back later, sniffed it and ate it. the next time I came with a sachet of wet food he ran towards me. long story short 1,5 year later he meets me when I arrive to my vacation house - I go there every other month - and now he comes inside and even sleeps next to me on the floor. he does not stay over night. so I guess the one who feeds a cat is regarded his owner by that cat. yes, it was because u gave that cat food. he wants more

by the way my husband is convinced that cat has an owner and he just comes to eat more to my garden, but so what. he is a nice cat and I like his company

This is so easy - YOU FED IT and not it owns you.. It was not stuck it suckered you.

He's adopted you - cats often know where there's a gap in a household waiting to be filled. If you want to adopt him, it might be a good idea to have him checked for a microchip first. There could be a family looking for him.