Say, if there's a " divine plan," and god's going to carry it through no matter what, then why waste your time praying?

Nothing you can request is going to alter god's actions by one jot or tittle, right?

Best Answer

Christians cope with contradictions by creating more contradictions and that never ends .

Predestination and Dispensation are disputed by man SUPPOSEDLY failing in the Garden

and god would of planned original sin .

Either that or it's all a fairy tale .

If that were true, you would be right. But God has no master plan that specifies everything we shall ever say, do, and think. No, we have our agency, and God plans accordingly.

• Ron

No. We can choose to live in harmony with God's purpose, or not. - Deuteronomy 30:19 - I take the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you today that I have put life and death before you, the blessing and the curse; and you must choose life so that you may live, you and your descendants. - - - - We have a choice. We can approach the Hearer of prayer and ask for his guidance in following a course that leads to life - Psalm 65:2 - O Hearer of prayer, to you people of all sorts will come. - - - - Because, in the future, he is going to remove death completely - 1 Corinthians 15:26 - And the last enemy, death, is to be brought to nothing. - - - - There are many promises in the Scriptures that show what life will be like after God removes all wickedness and death - Proverbs 2:21 & 22 - 21 For only the upright will reside in the earth, And the blameless will remain in it. 22 As for the wicked, they will be cut off from the earth, And the treacherous will be torn away from it. - - - - Psalm 37:10 & 11 - 10 Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace. - - - - Psalm 37:29 - The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it. - - - - Revelation 21:4 - And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away. - - - - Jesus said God's word is truth - John 17:17 - Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth. - - - - If God's word is truth, all these Scriptures will be fulfilled. We have a CHOICE. We can be there, or we can choose our own course of life. Note the relief that is described as coming to those choosing the right course - 2 Thessalonians 1:7 & 8 - 7 But you who suffer tribulation will be given relief along with us at the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven with his powerful angels 8 in a flaming fire, as he brings vengeance on those who do not know God and those who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus. - - - - Those that "do not know God" are those that refuse to listen to the "good news". And as it states, some simply refuse to "obey the good news". So, what is this good news? It is what Jesus foretold would happen before the end of all wickedness comes - Matthew 24:14 - And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come. - - - - This good news is being preached right now in 240 lands around the globe. It is available online in over 975 languages. We must be getting close to the fulfillment of Jesus' words at the end of Matthew 24:14, "then the end will come." Note another Scripture that indicates that we are getting very close to that time - Psalm 92:7 - When the wicked sprout like weeds And all the wrongdoers flourish, It is that they may be annihilated forever. - - - - All over the globe today, wickedness is becoming more rampant than any other time in mankind's history. Therefore, I encourage all to approach the Hearer of prayer and ask him to put you in touch with those preaching the good news. You can also find it online at www.jw.org. However, you will always want to follow this Scriptural advice - Acts 17:11 . . . carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so. - - - - Because God's word is truth. You have a choice!

It is not so much about God's part as it is mankind's part, John 3:16, Ephesians 2:10.

• 1.0

Prayer seems to go against the teaching that God has every moment of every human's life planned out. The only possible thing to pray for is more faith and devotion.

I agree with you. 

I am of the belief that 

God has no concern whatsoever for  

what we do with the lives He has given us,  

or our arrogance in thinking that He is somehow  

offended by, or involved with, our lives before we die.  

Truly, God is a perfect God  

who did not have to “plan” anything, and His  

ability to instantaneously Will creation into existence  

and allow it to occur freely, is what we should be thankful for.  

• yesmar

It would seem that perhaps you're confusing "plan" with "blueprint".

• Alan H

Prayer may not alter God ‘s plan.....but it will help you to see it, and change YOU

Christians pray in order to find out what God's plan is for them, their family, their church group. When they wrestle in prayer, not understanding, seeking God's clarification, then God blesses their sincere desires and leads them along the path He would have them go - and they willingly follow His lead.

For example, yesterday I prayed while walking to a meeting point for walkers to have an hour's walk. I prayed that God might show me how to reach out to anyone in the group, to be of some help to them, if He wanted me to so speak to them. I've been with the group for 18 months and felt I just cannot get close to anybody, spiritually speaking. Well, before that walk was over, that prayer had been answered. A lady mentioned how she loves to write ghost stories and, in her writers' group, has been commended for one in particular. I expressed interest, and said I had a supernatural story (a real-life one) that was so 'weird' nobody would believe me if I wrote it down. She urged me to email her my account, and she would send me her fiction story. That's what I did. It was an account that proved to me (via nearly dying as a very small child) the significance of a Bible statement about what happens after death. I didn't grasp the significance till I was much older.

The way the contact with this lady arose, spontaneously, without me seeking it, showed how God grants answers to even simple prayers like mine, that morning, to be used by Him in carrying out His will. Here's a point - if I had not been bothered to pray I would not have been a willing agent to help be a blessing to that lady, but God would have used someone else for that privilege, for it is His will that that lady be reached. I would have been the loser for not bothering to pray and to seek.

No.  God may have some general overall plan, but it would include granting the requests of his faithful servants if possible.

1 Chronicles 4:10 Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request.