Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Are free pups still out there?

Hey y’all I live in Texas and I really want a puppy for guard purposes. They are oh so expensive and I just wish it’s like in the movies where you’d find an old box of lil pups waiting in the street to be adopted by a loving owner. I was just wondering if those still exist and if they do then do y’all know any organizations or towns that give them for free or real cheap in Texas? sorry for the length of this! (Also I am an experienced owner -had 2 German shepherds, 1 curly lab n 3 tabby cats growin up- n I know what supplies I need, just my first time doin this all by myself is all) thanks!

Hey y’all this is just an edit:

Yea I know it costs a lot for the vet, food, training, bathin, toys, treats n groomin-I know that

But it’d just be a lotta help if I could get the dog for free n then take care of all the other finances

Again thanks for the help yall! :)

I'all think if you can't afford to buy a dog you can't afford to own a dog.

You wish you could find free puppies. I wish I were the Queen of England.

• Aged Kiwi
      4 weeks agoReport

Hi, cowardly [Anonymous].
      Do you REALLY want to be 93 years old already?

You area CHILD looking for a free dog since your parents won't get one and think you can sneak it into the house. No adult types like that or acts like that so yes you are a child

If someone can't afford to adopt or buy then you can't afford the dog at all. And since you are a child you can't own a dog, don't know enough tot train it and can't afford its care. That and your parents will get rid of it

Not sure about Texas, but I found this guy wandering around in a pumpkin patch. He had a pumpkin stuck on his head! I carved it so he could see, breathe and eat. Eventually it decomposed on his face and fell off. Try looking in your nearest pumpkin patch. Good luck!

Hopefully there aren't any places that give puppies away. You can adopt for less than $100. & the dog you adopt would come from all the BYBers popping out pups as fast as they can. Probably the exact breeders you looked at checking prices. The pounds, shelters & rescues are so full & running over cause of BYBers & Puppy Mills.

If a certain breed is what you want you could google that breed rescue in your state. Adoption fees are far less than buying the dog from a BYBer or Puppy Mill.

• Ocimom

Look on craigslist - keep in mind these are backyard breeders and your dog will likely end up with a lot of genetic problems and you will be spending a lot more in medical bills.

The rule of thumb, is... if you cannot AFFORD a dog, even at the REDUCED adoption fees at shelters, you will not BE ABLE to afford its long term needs, including flea/tick & heart worm prevention.

Shelters will spay or neuter give vaccines & micro-chip the dogs before adoption. You may not get any of that off craigslist (and be advised people OFTEN LIE or misrepresent the dog they are trying to "DUMP".

You may end up spending MORE on the FREE dog, than you would otherwise. But feel FREE to be penny wise & pound foolish.

I actually believe EVERY pup/adult should have a buy-in cost. But you do know you get what you pay for and could end up with literally anything!!

Further, I also believe that a real 'guard dog' shouldn't be in the hands of anybody other than an extremely experienced owner. Most dogs will bark if there's a caller and unless an intruder means to get in regardless, that would put most off. If somebody is determined to get in, he'll dispose of the dog first, and get in.

You'd do far better to install a good security system. My opinion.

• Jojo

A free pup or dog is not very likely to be suitable for guarding purposes.

Possibly ok for watchdog duties as most dogs will bark at strangers approaching, but it takes a dog with `very strong nerves` to be a reliable guard dog.

However....A large dog that barks is a good `visual deterrent` to most trouble makers.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years (UK)

Absolutely, I Iive in texas and there are plenty of free puppies. I highly recommend going onto CregsList and finding a puppy on there, I got my first dog on there, I played for him but I remember plenty of free ones.

Hey y’all this is just an edit from the original asker:

Again thanks for the help yall! :)