Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 4 weeks ago

Why do students think teachers are being mean to them?

In my first year, I was a softie and I though the teacher was mean to the kids but she told me the problem is that I'm too soft and give in too much and I gotta show them some tough love. I thought this one assistant teacher was way too mean to the kids by being too Stern and hard on them. One time she said, "I'm going to start being hard on you. I'm only going to say the word only ones. Go!" I thought that was harsh. Most kids come to me crying because they know I won't be hard on them and the teachers said that's a problem. Now I'm tougher and some of the kids don't like me. I'm not mean. One student refused yo do her work and the lead teacher threatened to throw her favorite toy in the recycle and the student lost it. I picked up the recycle and when the teacher cussed at her, she threw it in. She screamed and cried. I hated to do it but we had to each her a lesson. Eventually she earned it back. Now she hates me because I've be one the "mean" teacher. The lead teacher said, "You're doing your job. Who cares if they don't like you. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. You can't be nice all the time. They'll take advantage of you like they did last time and now their angry because they can't do that to you anymore." I got tired of being "the nice girl". No more miss nice girl. I got on a student for talking back to me. I sent him to the corner after the third warning. He said, "What happened to you? You used to be a nice teacher!" I didn't care.

There’s no answers yet.
Be the first one to answer this question.