Not sure if a question or just needing to vent?

Ok. So here's the issue. I have a family member that seems to mimic issues that I or another family member have/has had. I'm 44, she's 73. It started when I had an ovarian cyst that landed me in the hospital. When I started feeling better suddenly she "had" the same thing. Okay. No big deal, right? It's possible. Refused to see a Dr. A week later, she's "all better!" Fast forward a few months. I have a serious bladder infection. 1st one in my life ever. Couple days later when I'm feeling better, guess what? Yep. Now SHE has one. Whatever. I let it go. My arthritis flares up, and of course, so does hers. Only hers is "worse." Seeing a pattern here? Now here is where it is really REALLY bothering me! Last Friday, my father was diagnosed with cancer again.  Mind you, this man, at 65, has already beaten prostate, esophageal and brain cancer 3 separate times over the course of 6 years. Anyway, his brain cancer is back as well as cancer in his spine. I'm obviously a wreck. This woman, after hearing about my father, has the BALLS to tell my 16 year old daughter that she now has cancer. She has had some stomach issues recently. First it was her gall bladder, then it was an ulcer, but refused any further testing to be sure. Now her Dr supposedly called her yesterday and told her its cancer. Again, no testing. Is this a thing? Is there a name for it? Doesn't quite fit hypochondria. I am FURIOUS that she would go to these lengths for attention, especially right now, and like this. HELP!

• LAN

No, it's a rant. Not even about cancer really, just about your mentally messed up family.

For a long term solution I recommend that you all get fixed and not pass on all your obvious mental problems to the next generation.

I think the best answer would be to just ignore her. However, I understand that just ignoring her is really hard considering how (for lack of a better word) annoying she is because if I were you, I would go up to her and just tell her off and put her in her place ESPECIALLY since your father is going through so much and it is just plain disrespectful to say something like that at a time like this.

One thing you can do is to just not give her the attention you want since that's all she wants. This will just make her really mad, which will force her to stop doing what she is doing and just do something else. Another method you could use is to distance yourself and your family away from her since she is a toxic person and you don't need someone like that in your life. A third thing you can do is to just ask her questions that she wouldn't know if she were faking it.

Overall, I don't know of an actual name for this, but I hope all goes well and I will send a prayer for your father!

Other than her being very needy, it sounds like she has a form of munchausens.