Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

No drinking and driving. Since many times liquor is served at wedding receptions, what do you think of dissuading people from driving?

to the wedding reception, so that

they people can either take a cab home, or have the hosts arrange for cabs to take them home or to their hotel.... so no one has a chance to drink and drive. So there is no risk of hurting someone or worse. What are your thoughts on this? To me, it could be a good idea. What about you?

• Foofa

That's a great idea and I've been to many events where the hosts arrange cabs or Ubers to get everyone home safely.

• Ocimom

IMO you limit the drinking of alcohol or you have a dry reception.

We're having a limo service for everyone.  They will shuttle eveyone back to the hotel where we're staying.  As much as I wish I had the funds to afford to pay out of town guests expenses we draw the line at welcome bags and limo.  No wedding favor other than a candy bar at the reception with goddie bags.  Its our dream come true we both waited a long time for this...50s...God has truely blessed us.

i was in the UK a couple of months ago for my nephews wedding...alot of us stayed at the hotel right there (it was a castle actually that was a hotel, the wedding n reception was in the castle..(it was pretty kewl actually :) ) ..anyways...but others were in hotels about 15min drive in to town (we were out in the country in England)..so they had a deal with the castle/hotel...of a van that would take ppl back to the hotel once every hour they would take ppl back throughout the night*till the end of the wedding at 2am* It was a wonderful thing* as ppl were able to enjoy the night n not have to worry about driving the 15min just up the road kind of thing*... :) but in Canada,,..you pretty much leave it up to everybody, they know not to drink and drive, u can't be everyones babysitter...they go to many weddings and figure out how they'll get from point A to point B and back to point A at the end of the night*..it's their responsibility* it would be way too costly for someone to have to pay for ppls cabs* etc...n usually theres a designated driver with each car as no one wants to be driving after a couple or more drinks*

they're adults, I'm sure they know how to call an uber now a days. if not, then they are also dumb if they drive on their own. other than that, just don't serve alcohol at your wedding then.

The hosts are not everyone's mommy.

Most people who are not alcoholics have no problem having a glass of wine or two with dinner and then knowing how much time they need to wait before driving.  Or if two people attend together, they agree in advance who will be driving and that person acts accordingly.

Cab fare would be over $150 for me to get from my home to downtown and then back home again.   I would not want any wedding host to feel like that is something they should pay.   And I really don't want to ride in some nasty cab either.   I'd rather just behave like a responsible adult, thanks very much. 

It's up to your guests to ensure they make suitable plans.

If you want, you could ensure that taxi numbers are made easily available; but the rest is up to them.

• Kelly

We invited people who had their drinking under control and knew how to conduct their selves appropriately to our wedding.

If this was to happen, the liability can come back to you for serving an intoxicated person. That is why many venues where you can bring in your own alcohol require you to hire a professional bartender and security. Event venues generally provide this in their fees. A professional bartender in most if not all states is legally required to refuse service to an intoxicated person. If they do and that person has an accident, their place of employment and they can be legally liable for it (which can include criminal charges in some states).

We had a lot of out of town guests at our wedding so we had our reception at a hotel. Most of our guests were staying at the same hotel so the majority didn't need to worry about driving.

• Receptions at hotels solve this issue quite well.

• edward

I had the reception at the hotel everyone was staying at. Nobody was driving anywhere