Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 1 month ago

Broadway Philadelphia ...is it really considered “broadway”?

I thought broadway was NYC, especially becuz the shows were literally on Broadway, no?

So how is Hamilton in Philly, broadway?

• the answer is no, of course not but if you really want to believe that, then more power to you!

You've made Broadway I guess!!!!!!

>>I thought broadway was NYC, especially becuz the shows were literally on Broadway, no?<<

No. It's confusing but "Broadway" in this context refers to a theater with 500 or more seats in New York City. Only a very few "Broadway" theaters in New York City are actually located on Broadway the street.

When one refers to the touring companies of Broadway shows, if it's staged identically to the New York production (Equity actors, same length, same sets, etc.) then it's considered a Broadway show.

So that's how Hamilton is in Philly, Broadway.

they might have a broadway there too

• Speed

It's a touring company of the show that's on Broadway. The same company visits cities large and small, from Philadelphia to Rochester to Appleton.

The show is staged and performed with the same level of professionalism you might see on Broadway--but no, Philly ain't Broadway.