Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 month ago

What caged animal could I get if I have cats? ?

Ok so I love animals. I have 2 dogs and 4 cats. I’m wanting a fish and I also have been wanting a small caged animal.. such as a guinea pig, hamster, chinchilla.. anything like that. But I’m not sure which ones I’m able to get if I have cats. I’m not even sure I’m able to get any. I already know that I’m not going to be able to get a bird.. but is there any other animal I could get? What type of caged animal am I able to get if I have cats? 

• Ocimom

As long as the cage is secure from the cats and dogs or is kept in a room they cannot go in, small caged animals are a target for lunch if they escape.

you can get any animal you want but keep it in a room where your other pets arent allowed to go into and dont put the cage on the ground so just in case your other pets somehow find their way into that room they wont scare the other animals too much

• Kerri

Rats are excellent pets! Don’t bite, easy to care for, can learn tricks, and bond with their owners! My three cats never even attempted to go after my rat. But if your cats are more the type that chase and pounce then any small pet, even a caged one could be at risk if they get out or cat gets in. If your cats are laid back then go for a fancy rat. About ten bucks at pet store!

You can get anything. You just need to get a sturdy cage with small bar spacing so the cats cant stick their paws in there. You will also need to be able to give the animals floor time (if thats required for the kind of pet you get) in a room with the door closed.

• Sky

Do not get an animal who you keep in a cage. It's cruel to keep them imprisoned their entire lives in that tiny little space.

What ever small animal you get, you must cat proof where you will be keeping it/them.

Not an option. most of these are prey animals, cats, a serious predator of them.

Even smelling a cat or snake, can have rodents in a state of stress and fear.

Maybe look into some reptile like lizard, gecko, iguana, chameleon. or even a snake.

Actually , emu would be right up your alley, but they are a larger bird, sort of cross between ostrich and turkey.

Any caged animal, even a bird. Just do not let them out of the cage! The is no small caged animal that I am aware that can hold it's own against a cat if it gets out of the cage. 

If the pet is housed in a sturdy enough (and large enough) cage, then having cats should not stop you from having any of those pets.

• Rick B

Don't you think 6 animals is enough???? I bet your house reeks

• layla1 month agoReport

Is it bad to want to give animals a home and a family? What can I say... I’m an animal person!

If the cats are young, you can raise them with almost anything. My family had guinea pigs and cats at the same time for many years without issue. A large breed rabbit would probably be OK regardless of cat age.