Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

If someone isn't interested in learning English, doesn't that mean they want absolutely nothing to do with English-speaking people?

Best Answer

That's not really a logical conclusion.

I have no interest in learning Greek, or Chinese, or Polish.

I have great friends that are Greek, Chinese and Polish. Just because I don't want to learn their languages, it doesn't mean I want nothing to do with them. The same applies to English.

• Logan

Do you want nothing to do with the people whose languages you have no interest in learning?

• Zirp

No, it means they prefer to use a better language

• John P

No, that is a silly idea. I have no interest in learning Polish, but I know a couple of Polish people.

• not necessarily because my best friend is from the netherlands, she speaks dutch and english and i never wanted to learn dutch

Certainly not. Language preferences do not equate to a rejection of the corresponding nationalities.

its a myth that most immigrants don't want to learn English

the only exceptions are maybe disabled ot elderly people.

• bluebellbkk
      1 month agoReport

I think you're right about many elderly people, but I can't think of a reason why a disabled person wouldn't want to learn English.