Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 4 weeks ago

How could a homeless person own a bike in San Francisco without it getting stolen?

I’m homeless in sf and deliver food for work. I want to purchase a bike. I’m afraid it will get stolen or stripped of parts like many, many bikes here are. I rent a personal storage space that could fit a bike, but how else could I protect it when I’m using it besides buying a strong lock?

• David

1) buy a fairly simple, basic bike. If there’s a bike co-op/bike kitchen in your area buy a rideable mongrel from them. Mismatched wheels, mismatched fork/frame. Twist shift on one side, trigger shift on the other. Etc etc.

2) uglify it even further, Streaks, spots of other colours all over. I’ve seem one guy who’d smeared polyurethane foam and caulking over his.

3) get a sturdy lock, lock frame to immovable object.

4) accessory protection level 1: get so-called ”tamper-proof” screws. Torx/Allen heads with a pin in the middle.

Level II: use ordinary heads, but fill with hot glue

Level III: find ball bearing that can be pressed into the head, blocking tool insertion. Be aware that any future adjustment will be a PITA.

Just urinate on it. You are homeless so that should be easy for you. No thief will touch your stinky sticky bike

Simple use a long chain and attach yourself to the bike

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.

Buy some strong acid - hydrofluoric acid should suffice - and place it on the handlebars when you're not using it. If the handlebars are plastic, it shouldn't dissolve them. It's transparent, so theives won't be able to see it, and they likely won't be expecting it to be lined with acid. When someone tries to steal your bike, they'll hold the handlebars for a moment and the skin on their hands will start to dissolve because the acid is so strong. This will stop them stealing your bike, and will hopefully teach them a valuable lesson about taking things that aren't theirs.

Obviously remove the acid when you want to ride the bike. Make sure you research how to handle it without harming yourself so you can safely apply and remove it.