Car overheated and I found no coolant in the reservoir so I filled it. I just looked at it and it is half empty, but nothing on the ground.?

• don r

Take a good look at the water pump when the engine is hot and the cooling system is pressurized, for leaking. Leaking water pumps allow pressure drop and lower the coolant boiling point. A bad radiator cap will do that too. Also have the cooling system pressure tested. The radiator needs to new filled up too, not just the reservoir.

You always need to take the radiator cap off and run the motor for 15 minutes after filling the radiator to make sure all the air is purged from the cooling system.

Get the cooling system pressure tested to find the leak before you ruin the had gaskets.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Top it up again as it has replenished the missing coolant in the radiator. Keep an eye on it as it may need a further top up. I hope you are using premixed coolant or 50:50 water/antifreeze mix. Plain water not only risks frost damage but corrodes the radiator.

You better take the cap off of the radiator also and make sure that the radiator is full then you need to check the cooling fans to make sure that they're working.

• Rick

Might only leak when HOT & under pressure ....................

• Lv 4
      4 weeks agoReport

good answer; eg pinhole radiator or hose leaks or on top of the engine, or faulty fan or thermostat, or several things at the same time

Keep refilling it , and often

• Lujk

put ice cubes in there